Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Paranoid about downs

I got my nuchal scan results back today and it said 1:859. I'm 34 sio i know it will be higher than last time but I made the mistake of going on websites with people saying they are 1:5000 so now I've wound myself up. I know it shouldn't matter what my results are but I can't help but worry.

Just needed to share.

Replies

• Hiya,

I can relate to this hun, I got mine too a few weeks ago and I worried. Think it was 1 in 3300 or something (can't think of the number of top of my head and I'm not at home to check), anyhow I worried about it.

I posted a thread in this too as I was really worried that it wasn't as low as I wanted it to be, I was reassured by everyone on here that it was a good score which made me feel better but you still worry. I guess the constant worry is what parenting is all about!

Try not to worry, I'm sure it's a low chance. I'd discuss with your MW if your concerned.

Xxx
  • G/c from di June, I didn't have it done for this reason. After 31/2 yrs trying to conceive will love this baby either way and wouldn't risk any further tests anyway! Couldnt be doing with the worrying. I am sure it will all be fine for you.
  • Mine was 1:1289 from combined testing. Last pregnancy mine was 1:10000 so this seemed really high. However when I looked up the odds for my age (33) the base rate was 1:750 so my odds are far better than average.

I stopped panicking when I worked it out as a percentage and it was 0.08%. When you look it at like that it's far less worrying. The hospital would only consider you enough risk to test further if you had less than 1:150 so your odds are good. Also if you can clearly see a nasal bone on your 12 week scan, that lowers the odds again.
  • I know and I shouldnt worry but I am really concerned.

I am going to talk to my MW about it on Thursday when I go for my appointment but I am worried that they may get annoyed at me for asking!

xxx