Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Will midwife listen to heartbeat at 16 week check??

I honestly can't remember from my when I was pregnant with DD. I have my 16 week check on Weds and am desperate to hear it image

For those who have had their 16 week scan did they listen for it?

Thanks

Pom x

Replies

• Options
    They did listen to baby at my 16-week check. I was told with my son that they don't generally do it in our area as many pregnant ladies are overweight and it's too hard to find (which then of course worries the mummy-to-be).

Fingers crossed you get to hear your baby!

• Options
    My midwife listened to my lo's heartbeat and found it straight away. It was lovely to hear it image Last time, my midwife found the heartbeat at 10 weeks at my very first appointment so I was confident she would be able to find it again. I am fortunate in that I have the same midwife with this pregnancy as with my ds image

Hope you get to hear yours too.

Dx
  • Options
    They don't try at 16 weeks in my area to avoid worrying mothers when they can't find it.
  • Options
    Hiya,

I was wondering this too?

I live in the North of England so I wonder if they do it around here?

I was hoping that they would, can you request that they do it?

xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies - I guess I will find out tomorrow. I so hope they do!

YRose, I am going to ask for it if they don't offer it as standard and see what they say. I live in the SW so not sure what policies are here.

Will let you know what happens

xx
  • Options
    Thanks! i'd be interested in whether you ask for it if they will do it!

Let us all know how it goes! image

xxx
  • Options
    I heard mine at 16 weeks but she said they don't normally go it as sometimes they can't find it. She also said if she couldn't find it she couldn't send me for a reassurance scan at this stage. I think she did it as I said I'd felt movement so was confident that baby was happily wriggling away!
  • Options
    Hi Bebedeux - you're in Bristol too aren't you?

I had my 16 week check and asked if they listen. She said not routinely anymore - only at the moher's request and that the guidelines had changed since I had LO. Like Bebedeux said - she told me that if she couldn't find it they wouldn't refer me on for a scan etc.

So, I requested it and heard the beautiful sound straight away of a strong heartbeat image - I am so pleased!!

Thanks for all your help ladies.

xxx
  • Options
    Hi yes I'm Bristol too. Which hospital are you having your baby in? I had my daughter in the mw led unit at Southmead and am planning the same again this time. I'm glad you hear the heartbeat. It's so reassuring isn't it.
  • Options
    I had my daughter at Southmead too - c-section. Have to have c-section again too on medical grounds.

What a small world image

• Options
    Yep I heard mine at 16 week appt to! The midwife also said to me that she could try to listen but they don't lways find it so I wan't to worry if they couldn't find it...anyway we did it and heard bubs within about 5 seconds nice and clearly! It's such a reassuring thing to hear, although now I'm feeling the little one kick every day I'm less nervous as I know he/she is doing ok in there! Hope everything goes well for the rest of you still waiting for your 16 week appts image .x.
  • Options
    Pretty sure they will and you can always ask. My MW and I agreed not to at 10 weeks as it was too early and can cause worry if you don't hear it. Although my MW appointment is at 18 weeks so I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear something by then.
  • Options
    They heard baby HB today image

They did it without me asking for it, but she said I might have a front lying placenta as she struggled to find it and had to go to the side to find it.

Will this delay me feeling baby kick?

Xxx