Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just feeling... fat!

Hiya ladies,

Hope you are all well?

I have grown lots! People keep asking me if its twins (nope), when im due (when I say July they looked shcoked - some even say - oh I thought you were further along) and nothing at all fits me from my wardrobe.

Quite frankly I feel fat, frumpy and miserable!

I know I shouldnt be saying this as it somehow feels selfish to admit thats how I am feeling but it is. I have quite a few friends who are pregant and all have remained very petite. I am the ONLY one who has gotten so big so quick.

I feel so unattractive, its really making me feel low.

Oh I know its so silly to feel this way.

Only today I saw some friends who were shcoked at how big I was and asked me when the baby was due, when I said July, they said "wow you are growing fast, my friend is nearly due and you aren't far off her size!".

I am over the moon about being pregnant and I want to enjoy the experience but I am getting really low on myself and I keep crying lots (hormones aren't helping im sure).

I went to try on some clothes and my usual size didnt fit (fair enough), the next size didnt fit (close to tears) and I refused the size up from that!

Any advice ladies???

xxx

Replies

• Options
    You're not fat hun, you're pregnant. I'm showing lots too. Are you trying on normal clothes or maternity stuff? If it's normal stuff it's bound to be small. If you're in the same size in Maternity stuff that's the main thing!

Ignore people commenting on your size. Everyone is different and the bump depends on position of the baby, amount of fluid and lots of things.

I bet you look lovely xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your response Bebedeux! image

Yes there were normal clothes but even a size up didnt come close to fitting me!

My other friends are further along then me and havent grown anywhere except for their cute little bump... I just seem to be spreading! ha ha!

I will try on something tonight from mamas and papas in their mat range and see if I can find something nice.

xxx
  • Options
    I've set this page up on my iphone so I can now reply!

Don't worry about your size I'm 17+5 in maternity clothes and I'm

Like a heffalump!!!!!! nobody can believe how big I have got! I have taken bump pics from early on will see if I can somehow put them on here! I've had terrible Hyperemesis which I thought had gone but showed its ugly head again today and being sick loads!!

Bought the cutest maternity top from

New look which says shhhhhh baby is sleeping!! I live in pjs or maternity jeans!!!

Xx
  • Options
    I know it's easy to say, but try not to get down about it (although I understand that's easier said than done!)

Everyone is different and grows in different ways. -There are probably women who are looking at your bump wishing they had one the same size ;o)

Enjoy the most of having a bump to be proud of ;o)

NTT xx
  • Options
    Right girls I'm going to see if I can get a pic on here to show you you really aren't alone with bigger bumps!!! Is there a way I can transfer pics from my iPhone on to here!? I'm pretty clueless! Xx
  • Options
    Oh I hope you can post a pic... the only way I can do it (which im sure there is a much faster way then this) is to upload to photobucket and that gives you a code to use for uploading a photo online...

Can anyone else help with this?

xxx
  • Options
    Yey I've done it image xx
  • Options
    Just this morning I was thinking to myself: I really feel pregnant today! My bump is definitely much more noticeable - baring in mind that with my son I had pretty much nothing at all to show for the pregnancy at this point! I'm sure in my case a lot of it is just squidge as I am eating loads of rubbish, but I'm seeing this as my last chance to pig out image

Everyone shows differently so please don't be upset about it! I'm quite pleased that I look pregnant now rather than just like I ate too much over X-Mas! I think July sounds like a long time away to people, especially cos it's so cold atm, but I always tag on "..so I'm about half way now" to put it into perspective for others that actually I ain't that long to go!

• Options
    Thanks Spring... do you know what I think thats a better way to put it... "im about half way there now...". I agree when you say July they think its ages away and that I must be eating lots of rubbish under the excuse of being pregnant! lol...

xxx
  • Options
    I'm with you on the feeling fat today!

In my 1st pregnancy I put on loads of weight - I had hyper emesis and just had to eat what I could eat which was mostly bad stuff! To be honest I didn't really notice the weight piling on but when I look back now at photos from that time I can't believe it. I have just started putting on the weight again now and feel much more aware of it this time and it is getting me down a bit. I've had hyper emesis again so can't really control what I eat - I've had 3 hot cross buns today just for snacks! I'm just trying to accept its going to happen, and think I will dig out my pregnancy fitness dvd and try and do a bit of exercise!

As for people commenting on your bump - last time my FIL could not stop going on about how huge I was and it drove me crazy. Why do people think that isn't going to insult or annoy you? The only thing a pregnant lady wants to hear about their bump is that its lovely!

I did end up having a 9 lb 3 oz baby 9 days early but a big bump doesn't always mean a big baby!

Remember normal clothes aren't the right shape for a pregnant body so get some nice maternity stuff and you'll feel much better. I still fit in most of my normal clothes but fine maternity tops more flattering.
  • Options
    Def a great way to put it I love that we are half way there just get annoyed when people laugh and say wow you are going to be huge if you carry on the way you are!!! I want to punch them!! I'm proud of my bump it's really a dream come true image

Embrace it girls! I am image xx
  • Options
    i echo what the others say sheffield, embrace it and let the comments go over your head. I will add a pic of my "bump" on to the thread in a bit and it will put your mind at rest i'm sure! I had the old "gosh i thought you were due before that" comment last week, i just smiled whilst wanting to punch the person in the face. People have no subtlety when it comes to pregnant ladies.

I reckon if you got some nice maternity colthes it will change the way your bump looks and make you feel better about not just looking "fat" too. Its a great excuse to buy new stuff, and it doesnt have to be mega expensive. i've got some Peacocks mat clothes and they are great!

xxxxxx
  • Options
    right ladies!

I have taken motivation from all your comments today and made myself hit the shops after work.

??200 lighter I think I am now covered regarding maternity clothes!

I got: 2 x black leggings, 2 blouses, 2 x vest tops, 1 x coat, 1 x boots, 1 x pumps, 1 x necklace and a dress / blouse.

All made me feel pregnant and less fat.

My hubby wondered where I was when he got home and called me... I told him that I was in the shops and he said "about time!" he was happy i finally accepted I was bigger and was treating myself to some maternity clothes.

I am excited about having things that fit!!!

I went to H&M, Dorothy Perkins, New look and Topshop and got something from each shop, each was best for different things.

The only thing I didnt get was new bras, I have outgrown my current ones but need to be properly measured before I buy a lot.

Thanks ladies for your support, I am so thankful and it gave me the kick up the butt I needed to sort myself out.

xxx
  • Options
    pleased you got some lovely clothes hun and are feeling better about your body image

I've really struggled to get maternity clothes I've only got 2over the bump pairs of jeans from new look and a few vests /tops from H&M but just normal ones as we don't have much of a maternity section. so 2shops with hardly anything! think I need to take a shopping trip somewhere else for the day!

I'm abit upset today went to see my grandma last night and she said I look like a hippo!!! I don't mind I have a huge bump it's just when my auntie said your hips have turned into love handles!!!! think I'm

going to start going swimming again and walking places to burn the fat on my legs! it's not surprising coz I've hardly left the house since being pregnant due to sickness. Must get off my bum!!!!

Xx
  • Options
    It's strange but I told a couple of my friends recently and they said - goodness that's not far away is it? And I had thought it seemed ages. We're already halfway through Feb...before you know it Spring will be sprung.

Don't worry about how you look - some people just never 'pop' out and some look preggers from early on. Last time around I was still in my size 10 work trousers at 17 weeks - this time I have a bump band and am in my size 12s (and beyond)!!

I'm going to be more chilled about weight gain this time around. Afterall, that's what weight watchers is for.
  • Options
    Glad this thread has helped. Enjoy your new clothes and be proud if your bump x
  • Options
    it did help thanks!!! image

xxx