Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How close to your due date are you working?

Hiya,

How close to your due date are you working (or id you work to previously?).

I am currently trying to determine this with work. I was going to take 2 weeks holiday then 2 week maternity before my due date but im thinking I could do with the money and maybe take 2 weeks holiday before my due date and start maternity the day before im due.

What are you all doing?

thanks,

xxx

Replies

• I think it depends what your job involves. I worked until 36 weeks but I am a Drama teacher so my job was very active and tough going. I started to get very achy even though I didnt have a very big bump and felt 'ready' at 36 weeks. However, if i'd still been in a previous job that involved sitting at a desk I think I would have managed to get to 38 weeks. I honestly found the first 2 weeks of maternity leave thoroughly boring. All I did was clean because I was convinced that the baby would come. At 38 weeks I was ready to slow down. However, my hubby is also a teacher so when the summer holidays arrived when I hit 39 weeks we went out almost every day and he walked me into the ground! I went into slow labour - had a week of contractions starting and stopping before delivering at 41 weeks. Typically, by that time my house was a mess because hubby had been home for two weeks! I think what I am trying to say is that you might find that you fill your time at home doing just as much as you would at work. Just make sure everything is ready for baby (hospital bag etc) and you have someone who will go to your house and do a good old tidy whilst you are in hospital, so that when you come home you can just relax and get to know your newborn xx
  • Last time I started maternity leave at 37 weeks with 3 weeks annual leave before that. So I finished work at around 34 weeks. I really struggled to get that far and had had a week off at around 31 weeks as I had SPD and for the last couple of weeks I negotiated light duties (basically sat behind a desk doing computer work).

I think it depends entirely on the nature of your job though. Mine involves being on my feet all day and getting into some very awkward positions, 12 hour shifts and nights. Although now work know i'm pregnant they try to ensure I get a break, even that is not guaranteed, it's just the way things are.

So with that in mind, and knowing that SPD likely to be worse and start earlier this time, I'm going to be finishing at the end of May when i'll be 33 weeks ish. Fingers crossed i'll last that long!
  • thanks ladies....

I have an office job so its not too bad... just the half hour journey each way in the car im not looking forward to and being exhausted but the money is tempting as my sisters all went over their due date.

If I finish on 6th July I will still have loads of time before my due date on 24th July...

im not sure though...

xxx
  • Im working up till 38 weeks, I work in a school library and although it might not sound it I am busy every day and spend most of it on my feet. I am starting to struggle but only have 7 days left so I will manage.

Why dont you take 3 weeks that way you are inbetween?
  • I PLAN on working til 38 weeks which will involve getting on the tube every day for an hour! Kind of have to for financial reasons but i may have to think about it a bit closer to them time as my DS was 2 weeks early - don't really fancy my waters breaking on the central line! Think you just have to see how you feel bit closer to the time and how big you get!
  • I'm planning on working till 36 weeks, then taking 2 weeks annual leave and starting my maternity after that.

As I'm on my feet all day at work I think that will be just about right.

Last time I finished 7 weeks before my due date (8 weeks before my son was born) and considering that I was working 40odd hours/week and sometimes didn't get to sit down from the moment I got up till I got home (very rude fellow passengers on my bus never once offered me a seat!) so all in all I couldn't have managed more. This time I'm only doing 3 days/week so should last a bit longer.

My mum is moving in with us from 39 weeks to be on call to look after my son when baby 2 arrives.

I must admit I wasn't bored at all on my maternity leave. I did do a lot of cleaning and got the nursery all ready. I also met up with 1 of my friends who had just had a baby girl so I got to have lots of lovely cuddles image and I made the most of being able to watch movies, napping and reading.

• I'm going at 35 weeks. I want to spend a couple of weeks with my little one before she gets her new sister. Then I'll clean and chill.
  • I'm self employed now so will probably do bits if admin from home up until the baby comes and then take maternity leave for the full 9 months and use my 10 keep in touch days to do some paid work when opportunities come along.

Last time I had a very busy management job with lots of stress and travelling and was literally counting the days to finish. I planned to use 3 weeks holiday and then start mat leave a week before but DD cane spot on 38 weeks so I didn't have the time off I had planned!