Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jul 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Not sleeping through the night

Hiya ladies,

Me again...

well for weeks ive been unable to sleep through the night. I have to wake to go to the loo to pee, I feel a pressure, almost discomfort when I wake until I go to the loo and then it takes about 10 minutes to subside.

Then I struggle to go back to sleep which is frustrating as I am exhausted most of the time.

I cant sleep on my left as I get pins and needles in my arm and I cant help but sleep on my back, which I know isnt the best thing to do put even if I go to sleep on my left I wake up on my back again (must to hubbys delight as I snore (apparently) on my back! ha ha).

Is anyone else experiencing this? if so any tips?

Thanks,

XXX

Replies

• Hi again!

Yep! I'm suffering with a bad back now so sleeping is getting a bit difficult and I need the loo without fail every night too. I also have a bad left shoulder so it's hard lying on my left side, but I do make sure I do as much as possible as it's meant to be best. Have you got a maternity pillow? They do help in my opinion. Having the pillow between your knees helps keep you in alignment and my pillow (the dream genii) had a little pillow for behind you too so that it helps to stop you rolling onto your back and if you do you aren't completely flat as you're lying on top of it. Even without a maternity pillow you can try just having a normal pillow between your legs and another one behind you to keep you from rolling. IF you really can't lie on your left then lying on your right side is better than your back too. Hope that helps!

.x.
  • Ha I think this is your bodies way of getting you used to being awake every 2-3 hours feeding a newborn. I have a little triangular wedge pillow from mothercare that I have found useful in both pregnancies. You just wedge it under the bump and it gives support all night. You can also use it on chairs in the small of your back as you get bigger.
  • i wake up once or twice for a wee in the night too. Often i wake up half on my tummy and i get all sorts of weird pressures and pains in my bump that dont go off for a while. I dont think its anything to worry about its just cos baby is getting bigger and hasnt got as much room in there.

As long as you are not flat on your back it shouldnt be too bad, try propping yourself up a little with lots of pillows surrounding you, that would be better. I have been snoring for weeks whatever position i'm in! Hubby gets really cross with me, and i get a bloomin sore throat ha ha.

xxx
  • Thanks ladies! image

I've taken your advice, so thank you for giving it! image

I've bought a triangle pillow and am trying to sleep on my left, I still wake on my back so if I do I go to the loo and prop myself up to get some more sleep.

Its all part of pregnancy I'm guessing, sigh!

I've also kinda woken up on my side but almost turned slightly to my belly which freaks me out and I don't relax until I feel baby move again! (I know ????ber paranoid)!

Thanks ladies!!!

Xxx
  • I keep finding myself sleeping on my tummy. I figure once I get too big I'll get stuck on m side anyway.