Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 09

Anyone else

Having troubles at mealtimes?

Lily has always been fab at eating her dinner (eating anything to be honest) but this past week or so,she has been refusing her dinners. Its driving me mad! She'll happilly eat finger foods,but not her meals Ive cooked/batched.

She eats plenty of fruit,so I'm not too worried about her not getting enough veg in her meals, but I am worried she'll get too used to eating finger foods and become fussy and not eat proper meals.

I am a very fussy eater myself,and have been from birth,so I'm trying to do all I can to make sure she keeps to her healthy diet!

:?

Replies

• I could have written this myself....!

Until Xmas Olivia would eat everything we gave her - it could be anything from roast dinners to pasta to sausage & mash but she now wont eat anything 'normal'!!

For the whole of January I pulled my hair out and got stressed. All she would eat was things like chips or fish fingers because she could pick those up or attempt to use her fork but wont let us feed her nor will she attempt to shovel food onto a fork (i.e mash, peas etc) so I started to make her veg look like chips by cutting them into long pieces and cooking them in the oven. Initially this worked but she got wind of it and we are now back to square one but...

Im trying not to get to stressed about it. She does eat a varied diet (kinda!!) still - lots of bread, fruit and I guess a fish finger is 'fish' so it could be worse. I make my own potato wedges so she gets a bit of 'real' stuff that way.

I have come to the conclusion that she wasnt always hungry when I was making her eat so ive relaxed a bit and worked out that she actually wants lunch around 11ish and a snack/dinner at 3pm but no tea as such so im just filling her up then and it seems to be working. I also think its a development thing - they want to feed themselves but it has to be food they can do that with (Olivia also has OCD and hates things on her hands so food that makes her hands messy is a no no!).