Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 09

How do you know if it's colic?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of a colicy baby and what the symptoms are?

Jack has started to play up alot in the evenings this week and just screams til he holds his breath almost, nothing will console him unless I offer him my breast but he just doesn't seem satisfied, we have given in tonight and given him formula as I just feel like I have nothing left to give him, it's 11pm and we haven't even had tea yet!!

I just feel like we are getting in a viscous circle of Jack needing all my attention and me not eating and then it affecting my breastmilk, I feel so guilty.

Any advise would be great, I don't want to give up bf but I am really at the end of my tether today and just feel like crying.

Sazzle x

Replies

• Olivia was doing exactly the same and it was driving me insane and my nipples were red raw because she was using them as a dummy to calm herself down!! I mentioned to the health visitor about it at weigh in and she said it was because she is trying to stimulate my nipples to produce more milk ready for her next growth spurt and it could last anything from a few days to a week or more. I almost cried!

I also gave in and gave her formula. I couldnt take it anymore because she didnt just do it in the evening but all day too. For the last 3 days she has had my boob for her middle of the night feeds with one boob during the day and the rest formula (so about 4 feeds formula and 4 boobs) and she is much improved!

Hubby hated me giving her formula but I persuaded him to let me try it because it was dragging me down and the more it dragged me down the more I resented the breast feeding. Now its half & half I feel much better and enjoy the few breast feeds I now do (and hubby secretly enjoys feeding her now too!!).

xxx
  • Signs to look for are jack bringing his knees up to his belly, a loud rumbly sound from belly, and being very unsettled and crying with fists clenched alot of time its late afternoon early evening it starts to irritate most although Amelia's colic effects her in the early morning too,
    If your concerned ask HV or your GP just had Amelia's colic confirmed by GP and she now on dentinox anti colic which is really good, and helps to settle her well.

Dont feel guilty about giving jack formular what is most important is you have a content happy baby. XX