Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning Routine

Hi GG from born in Aug for a bit of advice from you lovely mummys

I am about to start weaning properly so far we have had a few little tastes of things, little man is 6 months on the 20th Feb. I am a bit unsure of how to fit the food in around milk feeds? He is ff fed and currently feeds

1AM
7AM
11AM
3PM
7PM

7oz each I would also like to move his 1am feed to a dreamfeed but when we feed him earlier he tends to wake earlier but isn't always hungry just waking?

I would be interested to know how you are doing it?

Annette

Replies

• Hi,

When we started weaning I was bf Jack on demand at night and then he was having ff at 3-4 hourly intervals during the day. We started on baby rice but he just wolfed that down so I gave him puree fruit/ veg at lunch time then gradually over 4 weeks introduced the other meals starting with breakfast and eventually offering him something at tea time too. Until he started having 3 meals a day and I was happy he was getting enough I gave him all the same milk feeds. We only recently dropped down to 3 feeds of 7oz each a day and he is 32 weeks(7 1/2 months now)

Our routine now is:

7am wake and 7oz
    7.30am 1 weetabix with whole milk or baby porridge
    11am toast/rice cake
    12ish- savoury meal and yogurt
    1.30pm- 7oz ( he naps at 2pm)
    3pm-snack
    5pm ish- savoury meal and fruit
    6.30pm-7-8oz

He has only just started on finger foods and to be honest most of it gets thrown on the floor rather than eaten at the moment
    :lol::lol:

I waited til 7 months before using whole milk on his weetabix and 6 months before he had pasta...

I found the hipp weaning guide really helpful as it gives you a timetable of the first 4 weeks weaning and then from 6 months/from 7 months and by 9 months so you know roughly what and how much to give them.

hth good luck

Sazzle and Jack
  • My daughter is 7 months today and we have taken it down to 3 bottles of 7oz. Heres our routine which works for us:-

6.30/7am 7oz bottle
    7.30am Baby porridge or toast
    11/11.30am Mashed up veg (before now was puree but she is eating
    lumps now) and a yoghurt or fruit
    2.30/3pm 7oz bottle & snack
    6/6.30pm 8oz bedtime bottle

Hope this is of some help might not work for everyone but we have a nice little routine going and it suits my daughter. She sleeps from 6/6.30pm to 6.30/7am so she must be content with it. Its all trial and error i guess.

Good luck

[Modified by: haydnsmum on February 03, 2010 11:37 PM]

• Hi

I bought the Annabell Karmell complete baby and toddler food planner book and have found her suggestions in that are great. It's not too expensive from somewhere like Amazon, but has really been a godsend.

Alfie's day currently goes like this:

8/8.30 - He wakes. I take him downstairs and give him either porridge, weetabix or baby cereal and an 8oz bottle.

12 - 1pm - Lunch (today he's had braised beef and vegetables) and a couple of ounces of water. I try and give him a muller star yoghurt because my health visitor said that they go towards a babies milk allowance, as does the milk on their cereal.

4 - 5 - Dinner and fruit for pudding with a couple of ounces of water

8-9pm - 8oz bottle

After the last bottle I put him to bed and he sleeps until around 8 the next morning. Sometimes if he's had a really active day or is in a growth spurt I do give him a 4oz bottle after dinner if he's not completely full.

I atarted weaning Alfie at 17 weeks though because he had gone from sleeping through, to waking every few hours so my health visitor suggested I should start weaning him.

I really do advise you get the Annabel Karmel book because the foods in their are great and are so easy to make. Alfie loves all of the foods I have made him so far, although his favourite is the blueberry, apple and strawberry puree he has for pudding and he also has a soft spot for mango!!!

Natalie