Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cant believe talking about this already..

Hi ladies hope you and our july bubbas are doing great. Evie is 16 weeks now and is dribbling for england as she is teething. Anyway i wondered when you are all, if not already, are going to start babies on solids. I know experts say its now 6 months the time to start. I fed Haydn at 4 months when he was born 3 1/2 years ago. I have a friend who is feeding her baby who is 2 1/2 months baby porridge already. Is it harmful to start weaning at 4 months? Whats everyone else think and doing?

Stacey xxx

:\?

Replies

• I weaned my son at about 20 weeks almost 6 years ago but looking back I'm not sure he was even ready. I think it was just me thinking it was maybe time. Whilst it clearly hasn't done him any harm this time round with my dd i intend to leave the weaning as long as possible (thinking about doing baby led weaning). If my baby is happy with just milk and is continuing to thrive then i'm happy to go with only milk all the way to six months.
  • I am going to loeave it as long as poss too, and try baby led weaning does anyone know anything about it?

Helen
  • Whats baby led weaning? x
  • I am not going to be weaning until 6 months jus because i dont see what the fuss is about geting food into a baby so soon afterall he is a baby so only needs milk at he moment , also once you start weaning you cant stop so and always have to give them food which is exra things to do...

I think baby led weaning is where you give he baby normal food ie what you are having and they wont necessarily eat it but will usually start off jus licking and sucking progressing to eating (obviously you give them soft food) you just prepare it and give it to them and they eat it! I myself will not be doing babyled weaning as i didnt with my firstand that went fine, i gave him baby rice to start then pureed fruit and veg for a few weeks then once he had got used to that he would have other food to eat him self such as pieces of pair and banana....

xxx
  • Hi Feebie

how you plan to waen seems a good way I was a bit worried about the baby led as you do not puree anything i would be paronoid about choking

• I agree with Flowerlands that is a better way, in my opinion to wean. Im not that keen on baby led now i know what it is. Thanks for your replies xx
  • I started my little girl at 17 weeks! she was definatly ready hasn never even spat one mouthful out. They also say that they push their tounges to the front like when they are bottle feeding but daisy has never done that! She is also teething but wierdly enough it's not her two front teeth it's her bottom molers! Strange hey. lol
  • I've started Jack ( 22 weeks) this week as health visitor suggested he was ready, his weight gain has slowed to virtually nothing and he is showing all the other signs of being ready too.

It's day 3 and he is loving it so far!!!
  • Thanks for your responses. Ive started slowly weaning Evie with just a few spoonfuls. She is now 20 weeks and after her morning bottle has a little bit of porridge or rusk mixed with a bit of her milk and pureed banana in it. And with her afternoon bottle at around 2.30/3.00pm she has some pureed vegetables. She seems to like it and Sazzle, like your Jack, Evie's weight gain has slowed down.

Evies teething is continuing and she has her first teeth coming through on the bottom row and to thr side.

xx
  • Thanks for your responses. Ive started slowly weaning Evie with just a few spoonfuls. She is now 20 weeks and after her morning bottle has a little bit of porridge or rusk mixed with a bit of her milk and pureed banana in it. And with her afternoon bottle at around 2.30/3.00pm she has some pureed vegetables. She seems to like it and Sazzle, like your Jack, Evie's weight gain has slowed down.

Evies teething is continuing and she has her first teeth coming through on the bottom row and to thr side.

xx
  • I'm plannin on Weaning Lily soon, she's 20wks now. I'm going to get her weighed on Tuesday and see what the HV says then. Also will be my first Mother/Baby group experience.xx
  • I started weaning amelia 2weeks ago, she we started on baby rice for 1st week then moved onto pureed veg and fruit (she absolutly loves her fruit) I only started weaning at 17 weeks after reccomendation from hv as amelia was drinking 9oz bottles 6times a day and still wanting more,

She to is teething bless her its her bottom front 2 and her left top with how bad she dribbling u would think i spilt water down her tops. haha

Sarah xx