Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby helmet ?

I was looking at these on ebay. Am I paranoid and being totally over the top? It is just we don't have carpets downstairs - wooden floors and stone floor in kitchen and I am a bit worried. What do people think about them? Does anyone have one?

Replies

• First of all the thought made me laugh, then I thought its actually a fairly good idea. I am tired of the sound of the sickening thump of head on floor. Jason has had some pretty impressive tumbles but never hurt himself, just startled. It really stresses me out though. I might consider it.
  • if thats what it would take for you to feel at ease with your LO playing down on the floor then go for it.

personally i wouldn't get one, have got 2 older kids and they've had their fair share of bumps, and lived to tell the tale.

when would yoou stop using it though?

My daughter (aged 9) fell down 7 concrete steps back in january and ended up with quite a hole in her forehead. (luckily it was glued together and there is little scarring) but my point is - accidents will happen at what ever age.

I've know of people to have to wear those type of helmets due to epilepsy etc, to keep them safe during fits, seizures and falls.

Nobody will think your over the top if you get one - your just doing everything you can to keep your little one safe. nowt wrong with that! Do what you feel most comfortable with hun xx
  • Hi hun have you considered putting a soft surface on the floor instead? We have laminate / tiled floors in all downstairs room I used to put a duvet down for Aila to play on, now she's a bit more mobile I bought the foam Alphabet playmats so she can play on the floor.

My BIL was really cautious when my neice was born and its definately affected her personality its a wee shame, I remember at my mums 50th picnic she was running to the park with her cousins until she got into her dads eyeline when she stopped dead so he didn't see her running. I know its awful when your baby falls over but I believe that its all part of development, all kids fall and get bumps and bruises

We got our mats at Tescos
  • baby helmet is very important, specially when your baby is learning to walk. Thank you babyexpert.com for this opportunity to let me express my opinion in this matter.I found helpful information in this issue.Please go to www.babyhelnet.org to learn more.
  • baby helmet is very important, specially when your baby is learning to walk. Thank you babyexpert.com for this opportunity to let me express my opinion in this matter.I found helpful information in this issue.Please go to www.babyhelnet.org to learn more.