Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

will having a private scan affect nhs entitlement??

want a private scan, simply as it feels ages away till january to have 12 week one, im 8weeks +1 today and want to book it for sunday, would it affect nhs entitlement or would they have to inform doctor i have had the scan??

Also would you see much at this stage now?? and do they use an internal scan... does this not cause miscarriage??

sorry so many questions!!

thanks!

Replies

• I'm not aware of any rules about private scans limiting NHS entitlement, and don't think I've read anything about this (then again I'm on Scotland NHS). Not sure re. internal scan but pretty sure any risk wld be negligible (unless your GP has advised extra caution against penetrative activities!)...

I think an early scan is a good idea, as long as you don't expect to see too much - they shld be able to detect a heartbeat I think.... x
  • I've had an early private scan. I was dated at eight weeks and two days and we could see the heartbeat, little arms buds and make out the general head area etc. though it did look like a blob on the screen.

Definitely worth it. They don't affect your NHS entitlement and my sonographer told me that they won't accept the date they gave me, but do their own dating. I have a short report though that I can give the midwife if I want.
  • it won't affect your entitlement at all image

xx
  • thankyou very much girls, its all booked for sunday image very excited!!!
  • Goodluck for Sunday ... we had an early private scan at 8 weeks exactly and they didn't need to do it internally so you should be fine ... just make sure you have a really full bladder!! I haven't actually told my midwife as it was more for my peace of mind so we could tell family at Christmas more than anything but equally it shouldn't effect your NHS entitlement xx
  • Hey there!

How'd your scan go?

xx
  • i didnt have it i cancelled it last minute as was sooo scared!!! but all booked for tommorow when i will be 10 weeks image