Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

doppler question...

hi i have hired a doppler, found babys heartbeat at 11+1 weeks also the day of our first scan, now over 2 weeks later i cant find babys heartbeat at all.. should i be worried? ive got a belly on me... ?? help a little bit worried :roll:

Replies

• Hi hun, I don't think its easy to find the heartbeat using a doppler before 16 weeks so although you found it at 11 weeks, baby could have been moving about lots when you just tried again. Maybe try again later? Make sure you're lying down propped up by a pillow and relaxed and using the gel stuff.

If you still can't find it then could you give your midwife a call for some reassurance or an appointment? It really could be because its still early for a doppler though. Even midwives don't tend to use them before 16 weeks xxx
  • I am lucky to keep finding my babys heart but my friend has a few days whe she can find it then she cant, midwife told her baby is so small there may be days when it nests behind your pelvis and doppler cant go through bone. Baby has too much space to move around.
  • yes i feel a lot better with your comments thankyou, dont know what i would do without this forum image thanks girls xxx
  • Hi Sam GCing but willow is right, I have a doppler and have days where I can't find it or it's so faint and that was at 16w+ so I wouldn't worry at all, just try again tomorrow or in a few hours. You must start very low down and work your way out slowly as at 11w they can hide anywhere along your pubic area out towards your hip bones! I'm sure all is fine hun. Sometimes I find just listening instead of trying to watch the screen helps too as I'm not trying to see numbers just listening I can catch it ever so faintly!

BoB 20+6 x
  • When I was pregnant with my daughter i had a doppler and for weeks i thought i was finding her heartbeat but when i had my 16 week midwife apt and she used her doppler i realised it wasnt the heartbeat at all and infact my placenta so im avoiding using mine this time until ive seen her because im sure ill make the same mistake again!!