Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Worried about cheese - Advice please!

Hi Ladies

I am always very careful when buying foods and know that I am not allowed some of my favourites like brie and blue cheese and I avoid these unless cooked however at the weekend I found St Agur Delice which said it was a pasturised full fat soft blue cheese and I thought awesome blue flavour but pasturised soft cheese and happily dug in, now I am concerned that I shouldn't have as I have read that even if blue cheese is pasturised it should not be eaten however I know that soft cheese is allowed so is this a processed soft cheese or a blue that I shouldn't be eating?!?!?!

I also ate some pasturised goats cheese which had a rind on it and I ate the rind with I now know I shouldn't have.....

HELP!!!

Lolli

Replies

• Hi hun

I don't want to worry you but I found the following:

In order to avoid the risk of listeriosis pregnant women are advised to avoid eating ripened soft cheeses of the Brie, Camembert and blue-veined types, whether pasteurised or unpasteurised. This is because ripened soft cheeses are less acidic and contain more moisture than hard cheeses, and are therefore more inclined to allow growth of undesirable bacteria such as Listeria, which may harm your unborn child.

I am sure you haven't harmed your bubs but be careful with those.

xx
  • Hi Shuck

Yeah I found that too which is why I posted....there should be a list of things you CAN eat rather than cant, it would be shorter and probably easier to read!

• :lol: I think you have a point there about the list, I google nearly everything that I am not 100% sure about apart from fruit and veg...

but I am off all foods at the moment apart from fruit so am probably safe :roll:
  • My sister-in-law looks at me like I'm a loony whenever I mention things I'm not allowed to eat and she proudly declared over christmas as I was abstaining that she ate all pate and blue cheese when she was pregnant. My niece is the most gorgeous and clever little 18 month old.

I'm not quite so flippant with the advice given and do avoid everything I shouldn't. But I think you shoulodn't worry yourself too much with what you've already consumed and just steer away from that stuff from now on. Its probably one of those probability things in that there's a higher probability of coming into contact with the bad bacteria, but that in 99% of cases its not there.

As a rule of thumb, the "blue" in blue cheese is the mould so I'd think if ever there's a blue vein its probably not safe for us preggers peeps. But thats just my scientific head kicking in, not actually something I've read.