Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pram confusion!

I'm finding it impossible to decide on what the best thing to do pram wise is ... I have a small car (Mazda 2) and although it has an ok boot space it isn't massive. I've been looking at a couple of prams and at the minute I can't decide between a lightweight pram that folds down small (such as the Quinny Zapp Xtra) or one that is a bit chunkier but has a bigger shopping basket and you can hang stuff from handles such as changing bag etc (such as the Baby Style Oyster). The Quinny obviously fits fine in my boot but only has limited storage on the actual pram, the Oyster is a bit of a struggle and takes up the whole boot when in but obviously has more on pram storage! Being a first time mum, I don't know which is going to be of the biggest benefit ... any thoughts??

Replies

• It depends what you want it for really- kind of obvious I know. I went for he bugaboo chameleon I have a Ford Fiesta and it will take up pretty much the whole boot when in but i really wanted a carrycot and a decent shopping basket underneath and like you said something that I could hang a bag from and had good after use value for ebay! I have 2 other kids although they are chool age so i figured i could always put the carrycot in the back seat when it's just me and baby in the car. I just weighed up the pros and cons and went for it. sorry i haven'tbeen much help !
  • Thanks mrsgood07 ... you've actually hit on something else that I've been debating. The Oyster has a carrycot whereas the Quinny doesn't - how much do people use a carrycot? I figured that when out and about baby will be in the car seat or pram and when we go away we will have a moses basket or something similar ... but then being a first timer I just don't know if I'd regret going for a system with no option of a carrycot! ... still confused image
  • It really is a thing of choice... i always had my heart set on a Stokke but thankfully have a B class mercedes which is pretty bug. I also have a mini with a tiny boot. To be fair most prams do come apart quite easily so woupdn't worry too much. If in doubt ask to road test one ie ask a member of staff to put one in your boot...

• It's again a personal choice, i had a travel system with ds and wished i hd a carrycot- I think there is a limit to how much time babies should spend in a car seat- with dd I had a carrycot and loved it so again with this one carrycot was a must for me. If I go shoping I always take them out of car seat and prefer o lie baby falt but it's personal preference that's all! It's hard deciding - have a look at mumsnet for reviews they have good reviews on there. x
  • both my single travel system and double take up the whole boot, but to be honest the only time i will need the boot for shopping is when we go to the supermarket and i wont be pushing a pram and a shopping trolley so would leave it at home anyway and have the babies in the trolley, a few bags when out and about in town can easily fit in the car

one of our must haves was a pram that took a carrycot, babies should not be in a carseat for more than 2 hours at a time and our seats on the pram are not suitable from birth so fo going out for the say was a must, also to have the option of a attatchable carseat was also a must for popping out quickly somewhere as carrying a carseat is hardwork esp as i will have a toddler to consider too!

as for the basket it depends how often you will be shopping for bits, i only really used mine to store the raincover as the changing bag hung over the handle and most bots went in there x
  • hey hun like the girls said its down to personal choice but i am going for the oyster as i have hunted everywhere and hate to say it but have a slight pram fetish!! he he dd has had about 7 prams in total! ugh sounds sooooo bad saying it out loud! i did however have the quinny zap (not the xtra) and to be quite honest i didnt rate it as they are quite flimsy i got rid ofit after using about 6 times! not tried the new one but i would have a good play around and see which one is most sturdy! im ordering my oyster on thursday as have had a good play with a few and liked this one the best! but go and have a play around try and find somwhere that does both think toys r us do as its easier to compare them side by side!!xxxxx
  • Cheers everyone, it is like everything else personal choice but it's good to hear people's opinions. I was concerned that the Quinny might be a bit flimsy but it does have its upsides too. I guess it's easy to have one mindset when you have no baby that could change completely as soon as you start using it all the time and realise that actually certain features are important (or aren't, as the case may be) ... need to just take the plunge and make a blooming decision :lol:
  • A carry cot is a must 4 me 2, car seat was only used 4 short trips. I used the carry cot until DD wanted 2 sit up more, I cant quite remember at what point that was but I got plenty of use from it and I have kept it for this time round. (Its a quinny buzz)
  • I had a Silvercross Sleepover with my first and kept in in the carry cot position for ages. I kept my moses basket upstairs so I used to use the pram as his downstairs bed and I could just push him into the kitchen or garden if I had any visitors and wanted him to go into a quieter room. I only have a corsa with quite a small boot so had to take out the parcel shelf to fit the whole thing in which was a bit of a pain, but I preferred not to use the car and just walked a lot more. I bought a Silvercross pop buggy when he was a bit older which fitted better in the boot and was very light.