Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How many bags R U packing for hospital

Hi there

I just wondered if anyone has thought how many bags you are planning on packing for hospital I've heard people pack three and take in the labour one and leave other two in car until needed.

1)labour

2)mum stay

3)baby

Do you think this is worth doing? Dont REALLY want to turn up with HUGE bag as I hear they there could be some funny comments??

Thank you! xx

Replies

• G/c from DIMarch, I had my baby at the beginning of the month and packed 4. One for labour, with nappy and sleepsuiit for baby. a nightie for me for after and enough toiletries for a quick shower. This stayed with me as I got closer. Then a baby for baby, a bag for me if I had to stay in, ladtlt a bag for going home, which had some for me and baby and was kept in the carseat. This worked well. Hubby went to get baby bag once I was in the delivery room, and waited until i got onto the postnatal ward before getting long stay bag, which he swapped for the labour bag.

HTH
  • I've started thinking about my hospital bag too. As a first timer its hard to know what to take really, but I've got a couple of lists off the internet & magazines etc and I'm just going to use my common sense and try and pack as little as possible. With any luck I won't be in too long so won't need too much stuff.

Hadn't heard about the leaving in the car thing - to be honest I'm just taking bare minimum and then OH or my parents can bring in more stuff if me or baby need to stay in longer.
  • i took a small case and holdall last time and there isnt anywhere to put them if you stay, i was in 5 days and got peed off with having them clutering the bedspace and most of the stuff i didnt need or could have got hubby to bring in if i did,

this time i have a small holdall type bag and a smaller case (cabin size) so at least the will fit into he locker by the bed if i have to stay, hopefully you wont be in long enough to need bags full x
  • I was just going to take two - one for me, one for the baby. I was just goint to pack as lightly for myself as possible and take a little changing bag with our baby stuff in it.
  • One for me and baby for stay and one for me and baby/labour, not taking big bags though as hubby took the dirty stuff home with last 2 and brought clean things later in the day so no need to pack too much. x
  • last time i just packed one and then OH took home anything used and brought back freshif needed, that way he made a start on the washing :lol:
  • I only took one last time which had all I thought I needed but I was in for 6 days in the end and although husband was only 5 mins away he doesn't know where anything is hahaha so I may take a couple and leave on in the car, I think that's a great idea.

I'm also gonna try and go smaller as the the one I had got in my way
  • Thanks everyone - think I'll take two then and leave one in the car. HB is brilliant but not sure how good he'll be at following intructions to bring in further things if I need them imageimage
  • I've just started doing a list of what I'll need - like you, I've split it in three - stuff I need for labour, for baby and for me staying in/going home clothes. If it all fits in one bag, that's a bonus, if not, will probably leave in the car to fetch when needed.