Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what kind of birth are you hoping for?

Im interested to know what kind of birth people are hoping for wether its their 1st. 2nd, 3rd and so on!!...

im hoping for a natural birth with just gas & air, a lot of concentration and focusimage

(last time i had to be induced at 42 weeks and had drip/epidural/waters broken/forceps/ventouse/episiotomy) THE LOT!!!

so im NOT going to have that this time, im going to have a nice simple birth and enjoy it, i have my positive thinking cap on :lol:

Replies

• but really i dont care how i get the baby out as long as she is healthy!!!
  • Hey

well this is my first baby but im hoping for a water birth with Gas & Air and lots of positive thinking image But as you say am open for change to have my baby here safe and sound x
  • Last time I had the drip, epidural, episiotomy and forceps. This time I want a water birth with gas & air if I have to (hated the stuff last time).

I'm definitely not ruling out an epidural though, it was bliss last time! x
  • id like an easy, uncomplicated, fairly quick and painless birth image no seriously, i also like the idea of a water birth but obviously have to see how it goes. its my first. its actually the thought of tearing and an episiotomy that scares me more than the thought of the pain. maybe im being totally naive but tearing totally freaks me out.
  • Well I would like to request that my baby stays in past 38 weeks but then not over 40weeks lol

This is my 3rd baby and Im hoping for another quick birth with only gas and air, but I am open to other pain releif should I have a long labour image
  • Im hoping for a quick (as quick as it can get for a first baby) normal birth in the water with gas and air and one of my lovely colleagues delivering me. I won't be a hero if i get delayed progress or have to be induced as, as soon as people start intefering and giving you hormone drips it makes labour ten times more painful. So then id have an epidural. Otherwise i hope to be brave, and i hope nature's on my side! Hopefully it'll be a good baby that gets in the right position and I can stay calm, keep eating and drinking, resting where possible it all makes it more likely to run smoothly. I don't want a c section even more since my 20 week scan, which showed an anterior placenta (the surgeon runs the risk of cutting through it) x
  • hoping for a natural birth, with gas and air, poss water birth, but not having been through this before i will be open to anything once its happening !! image
  • Alfie222 does the hormone drip really make labour more painful? I know it did for me so I'm glad you said that as I don't feel such a wuss for having the epidural last time! I was coping so well up until then, so I also hope that this time I get regular contractions so I don't need any interventions! x
  • hi kel, yes, hormone drip definately makes it harder! Ive never seen anyone with a first baby avoid an epidural when having the drip, as first labours take longer and our bodies just aren't designed for the speed and sudden intensity of contractions when they intefere with synthetic hormones. We're designed to have a gradual build up over time, with contractions that start weak and irregular. The sudden wham bam that hormone drip gives you is horrible. Im not saying its impossible, ive seen people do it without epidural with second or third babies where it has been quick, but have seen so many women get upset they didn't follow their birth plan and caved and had an epidural once they started on a drip. But water, gas and air etc are all very well with natural childbirth - manmade inteference is a whole different ball game!

Induction doesnt always involve a hormone drip though. You're definately not a wuss for having the epidural last time but don't think its your inability to cope with natural childbirth - last time wasnt natural! Im sure you will be great this time if nature helps you out image x
  • Thanks, that's made me feel a bit more positive about this labour! I had to have the drip because ds came early and contractions were irregular for ages. Hopefully this one won't come so early so things will be a bit more normal. x
  • I'm hoping for exactly the same birth as last time!!! I can't see that I'll be lucky enough though. This is my second baby. My first labour was amazing. Although it was back to back and he didn't turn, he was also quite big (8.9) I loved every minute of it!

The midwife did not believe I was in labour as initially I was progressing slowly however after 4 hours I asked if I could start pushing! She said no and told me she would give me a sweep at which point she said o was fully dilated! 10 minutes later he was out! He came out in his water bag, which the midwife burst!

My husband was fantastic and the midwife was very appologetic! I had no scars, tears and no help! I just hope this one is the same!!!!!xxx
  • I had a really good birth last time, artymam you are the first person I have seen who also says they enjoyed the whole experience, I really did and cant wait to go through it again!

Dd was 8lb71/2 and only took 20 minutes to push out. I only had mild contractions from half til about half 2 and even after that they werent all that bad. I thought the mw was lying when she told me she could see the head!!

I had a tens machine and gas and air.

I used to be terrified of tearing/episiotomy but when I tore I didnt even feel it!!
  • lisa and artsymam am so pleased to hear your stories - as im sure everyone is! And the good news is that with first births that easy, you're almost certain to have a very easy time of it this time (don't want to jinx things for you both though!) Your problem might be getting to the hospital in time! Have you thought about home birth? Might be easier! :lol:

there's no saying why some people have such an awful time with a first baby and others have an experience like yours. I think nature can help you out but a huge part of it is your personality and your mental state (pain threshold, how anxious you are, how chilled out you can be!) Not always easy to tell someone to be calm when they're in pain, but it makes all the difference. I think a supportive atmosphere and being able to mobilise, plus having some knowledge to combat fear of the unknown (such as birthing classes) makes all the difference.

xx
  • My advice would be...lucozade, birthing ball, husband counting down the contractions (you'll know what I mean by this), the thought in your mind that every contraction is one step closer to you meeting your little one, going to your happy place! I didn't look at the contraction monitor but when my husband could see one was about to cone he kept saying..."just think, on the weekend well all be at home together eating a takeaway!" this helped so much and even though it was so simple the thought of us all being together and eating lovely food really kept me going! My husband also rubbed my back during the contractions and that was amazing!

Xxx
  • I want an easy one lol.

My first was quite straightforward although my daughter was premature. She was born at 34 weeks. I ended up with a forceps delivery but it was all pretty quick. Waters broke around tea time and I had no pains or contractions until 12 midnight whilst I was in hospital as I had to stay overnight as waters broke. Only had mild contractions and then brought to delivery suite at 1.15am. Only took gas and air and my daughter was born at 2.54am with very little pushing. They say that the second is quicker which is what I am hoping. I did have stitches with my daughter because of forceps so would like to avoid that this time although they healed well within a few days.

Good luck with all the births.
  • An easy short non painful one!!! image

First time i was induced with drip etc, had epidural and ventouse delivery after about 14 hours, lots of stitches and a week long hospital stay! image

second time the hospital didnt believe i was in labour, and put me on the delivery suite because i wasnt dealing with the pain very well!! Emily was born 20 minutes later! I tore quite badly so again lot of stitches she was 9lb 9oz though!

I have to say although i didnt feel the episiotomy the first time or the tear the second the episiotomy healed much quicker and you would never know id had it. Ive got quite jagged scaring down below from the tear.

• Oooh quite a few water births on here.

I'm after a home water birth, am keeping everything crossed that I can do this as I was told at my 20 weeks scan that I have a low lying placenta, hopefully it'll move by my due date. This is my first baby and pretty much everyone says to me oh my god you're mad for wanting the baby at home. But i'm 5 mins from the hospital if anything was to go wrong and I just want to be as relaxed as I possibly can be. Theres lots of evidence to show this helps towards a quicker less painful birth.

I've also been reading Hypnobirthing the Mongan Method, its really interesting, has anyone else thought about hypnobirthing? The classes in my area are extortionate so I thought i'd read up on it myself instead.

xxx
  • Forgot to add i'll be up for some gas and air as well!!

• thanx for sharing the positive birth stories! its always good to hear good experiences.

bashuk1 - i just started reading this book as well and although im not sure its all for me i do like the approach about being relaxed and not fearing giving birth. i do think being relaxed will help but im also going to stay open to pain relief i have to.
  • Bashuk1 I wanted a home birth with ds1. Everything was set up and ready and then with one week to go I developed preeclampsia! I couldn't believe it! My community midwife was amazing and talked me through the positives of the hospital birth do I didn't dwell on the negatives! I must say hat although it didn't go to plan it went the best possible way! So if it doesn't work out (although I'm sure it will for you!) don't be too downhearted the end result is still the same xx