Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

Co-sleeping?

Just emailed one of my friends to ask how she is getting on she had her baby 2 weeks ago and she replied saying now she and the baby are co-sleeping lifes brilliant, hubby is sleeping on an airbed in the nursery and she says when baby needs a feed she just pops out her boob and baby feeds.

I thought you wern't suppost to put baby in bed with you? I used to feed my son propped up in bed and have to admit did fall asleep a few times.

Is anyone else thinking of co-sleeping?

Replies

• No way, think its so dangerous. each to their own though because my friend did that. surely kicking out your partner from the bed is letting your baby rule your life, the baby is supposed to fit in to your lives not the other way round! x
  • I have To admit that I did co sleep with my first! I was breastfeeding and he would feed from 1 -7 in the morning! I didn't sleep during this time but dud snooze every now and then. I co slept with him until recently and loved every moment of it! He now sleeps in his own cot from 7 till 7 and we have never let him cry!

I was scared at first but spoke to my hv about it and did everything suggested, such as no pillow! We will all find different ways of doing something! Oh and I did not chuck my husband out of bed! He was in bed with us. Xx
  • Personally I have no intention to do this as I think it's dangerous. What if you rolled over in sleep and squashed them? Also I have friends who didn't co-sleep but did let their children get into bed with them half way through the night and now it's the only way they will sleep.

For me there has to be some me and hubby time without baby. Kicking your husband out of bed to make room for teh baby isn't healthy at all. My FIL slept in my husband's bed for the first 3 years as he'd only sleep with his mum. Not on my watch!x
  • Oooh, well I dont want to down that road, as I've also got friends who havent managed to break the habit and years later are still sharing a bed with a squirming 6 year old whilst hubby sleeps in the spare room.

With our son, there have been odd occasions when he has been ill and my hubby has vacated the room and Charlie has slept with me, I think it was when he turned one and starting getting really bad chest infections / asthma, but as a rule, we dont do it. He does get into our bed every morning though, for snuggles, milk and early morning peppa pig.

Artysmam has made a good point, it can work for some people and worst fears about weaning them out of your bed may never come true. And in those early days, I distinctly remmeber feeling that I would do anything just to get the baby to sleep!!

xxx
  • G/C from BIS09 - hope you don't mind!

I have co-slept with my son on and off since he was born and it has never (thankfully) been habitual. He sleeps far less in our bed now - in fact only when he is ill and I want to keep an eye on him (and he needs the closeness).

When you are sleep deprived all you want is sleep - the "rights and wrongs" of co-sleeping go out the window and honestly, my hubby was very grateful to be kicked out into the spare room as having both of us knackered would have affected the relationship a lot more. In fact, I slept apart from hubby for the last 2 months of the pregnancy because I was up peeing every 5 mins and then ds slept in the same room as me for the first 6 months of his life because I was bf'ing. It worked for my husband and I but it is of course a very personal thing.

It is whatever works for the individual. I did fall asleep with my son but my mummy radar never stopped working even when he was next to me - the slightest snort and I was awake. There is something in your brain that just keeps you alert even when you are asleep - if that makes sense.

Just wanted to say that it is perfectly possible to co-sleep safely and that it doesn't have to affect the relationship if both you and your OH want the same thing - sleep!!

C.x
  • another gatecrasher

i coslept with my son from the start prety much as it was far safer than me falling alseep holding him, never kicked hubby out once, now at 16 months we cosleep when hes unwell or teething, he settles well in his own bed so has not hindered this in anyway, if this baby needs the comfort of cosleeping i would not hesitate to do it again, dont be suprised if you change you mind ladies,
  • Hey piggypops nice to see you over here!xx
  • i want to get a baby bay and put that on my side of the bed so baby sleeps with us but not in the bed. i dont think i could kick my husband out of our bed. id like to move baby into the nursery once hes old enough to sleep through though, ie asap image
  • Ds slept in our bed a couple of times when he was a baby, but we never made a habit of it. I always found I couldn't sleep properly anyway as I would be waking all night and fidgeting and that would disturb him so there was no point. Riley was a bad sleeper and I managed to turn him into a good sleeper in his own bed so I wouldn't have thought I'd have to co-sleep with this one. x
  • Oh yer and my hubby would never allow me to kick him out of our maritial bed and into an airbed in the nursery! x
  • i would never do it either, with my DS he went in to his own nursery and cot when he was 6 weeks, because he didnt sleep well. Plus (sounds crude) but my Husband does windypop at night and breathing and snoring ect think its just better off them being in their own room, Rory now doesnt even like being in our bed loves his own space and has slept through from about 8 weeks... It is personal preference tho i just know so many people having problems putting their kids in their own rooms and still not gettin sleep when their kids are 2 No way! lol x
  • Wasn't meaning to be critical of anyone who co-sleeps, you have to do what suits you and only the individual knows that based on their experiences.

For me, regardless of how tired I am my baby will not sleep in bed with us. I would be terrified of squashing him and having dealt with several cases like this is my job where babies have fallen out of bed and fractured bones because the "mummy radar" has switched off with pure exhaustion. I understand this is extreme but I guess we are all affected by our different life experieneces.

My husband is 6ft 4 and in his sleep often kicks out or his arm goes flying and i've been unintentionally clobbered and I know neither of us would sleep for fear of hurting the baby. I'd never forgive myself if this could be avoided by putting him in a moses basket or crib at attaches to the bed x
  • just re reading my NHS pregnancy book and it says not to cosleep if you are smokers, drug users or under the influence of alcohol so they dont reccomend either way x
  • G/C From BIN10 Anyone seen the co sleeper cots you can get?
  • Hello mrs! Yes, seen them but so expensive so think i'll stick to moses basket unless I have a lotto win. Hope you and gorgeous boy are ok xx