Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hospital Bag

Hi Ladies

Just a quickie, when do you think your hospital bag(s) should be packed by?? Any ideas?

Also, do we need a separate one for baby or can everything just go in the one bag? I'm sure there was a thread re this, but can't find it...

Zxx

Replies

• I was wondering the same thing today! I am going on holiday to Wales when I'm 30 weeks, and I think I will have mine packed by then. I thought I'd better bring my notes, and a few hospital bits in case anything happens while we're away from home - but hopefully I'll be prepared far too early!
  • mines packed!

i have one for me for labour and hospital stay and one for baby, i am super organised this time but last time i was about 34 weeks when i did it

persoanally i think 2 small bags is better than a big bag as if you have to stay you can put them away easier x
  • Love this thread! Was begining to think I was perhaps being daft by thinking I should have mine packed by 30 weeks, but actually you have all convinced me that is now the sensible thing to do!! I think im going to get my bags ready at 30 weeks so that Im prepared, and so that I dont have to worry too much about it when im as big as a house!! I am currently going crazy with buying stuff for the baby because I move house at 36 weeks so im going to have the shortest time ever to get it all ready! Fingers crossed the baby isnt early! xx
  • i am aiming for a bag to be packed at 30 weeks but need nighties and baby go's thats all i need now
  • Thanks for all replies ladies, blimey if I am to have mine packed by 30 weeks, I have this week to do it in only! image

Have a bag already for me, but think I need to get a bag for baby, have a changing bag, but not too sure its big enough really.

I feel a bag spending spree coming on!!

Zxx

PS anyone know the best place (cheapest place) to get some front opening nighty's?
  • G/C from DIm, midwife advised me to pack wk 35, so thats what I did, Have packed holdall for labour with stuff I shall need for that and then another bag for changes of clothes, babys stuff, hubbys stuff and shall pop another bag in car with clean t shirt, boxers for hubby and food to be grabbed as needed. xx
  • Think I packed mine while on MAT leave last time so about 37 weeks plus my sis had suggested it'd stop me from getting bored. Might try and do it a bit earlier this time.

I've got front opening nighties from M&S but my mum and sis bought them for me last time so not sure on price, they are popper buttons though which are less hassle than buttons as can easily be opened quickly and one handed
  • i got some long thin pjs from matalan with buttons down the front
  • I started packing my bag with all the basic stuff that can't go off, knickers, pads, nappies etc.

Gonna wait a bit longer to put snacks(would probably sneak them back out and eat them long before) and clothes (because I don't have that many).

Still need to buy nipple cream, another nighty and feeding tops.

Most days I wonder why we need so much stuff considering that most hospitals have such a short turn-around time if nothing goes wrong but I suppose you just never know.

xxx
  • My 1st pregnancy I had my bag packed early Sept but wasn't due until early Dec. Packing early meant I could reassure myself I had everything I needed and that I was prepared for any early arrival (alas didn't happen). I managed to get both mine and baby's bits into a sports hold all but agree that two smaller bags maybe easier as there is not much stowing room on those hospital wards and you never know how long it will be before they agree to discharge you after the birth.
  • Thanks for all comments ladies, interesting to read everyone's view point.

Shuck - your comment about the snacks did make me laugh. I too would start snuffling them if I packed them too early!! image

Zxx

PS - Any ideas which is the best nipple cream to get anyone??
  • I've heard Lansinoh is the best - that's what I'm going to get.

I was wondering about the best maternity pads? I think I've read something before but can't remember!
  • I had just some basic maternity pads I think from Sainsburys, also had some of the Mothercare ones standard and thin. The thin ones were ok after a few days but the thick ones were nice for a bit of padding.

I also bought some cheap night time standard sanitary pads from Home Bargain which were just the same and very cheap.
  • Great, thanks for that - I'll be picking some up at the weekend image
  • well i was having pains yestrday and still getting them today so have packed the baby bag ready i just need to get my bag ready just incase as baby's stuff won't even fit yet if he was to be born now lol well i made a list for mine and his bags from the other thread thanks piggypops i have most thing but still need to shop for some but money is a bit tight at the min as O/H has had hours cut due to getting his work from japan he has to take next week off as the car factory over there is shutting for the week but if i get stuck might have to get stuff out of the catauloge bit more expensive but can pay it over so many weeks just things like nighties and bras