Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

Pains

Hi Ladies

Have posted similar in pregnancy. Just wondered if any of you July ladies due around the same time as me are experiencing the same?

I have bad backache, and its sort of over the top of my left bum cheek! Really feels like spasms, hurts more when been sitting/standing too long. Is there anything I can do to help this? Baths are not really helping. Bouncing on the ball helps a little. Don't want to keep taking paracetamol. Does anyone know of any exercises perhaps?

Also I have been having sharp(ish) pains down below, right down low, sort of stabbing, have spoken to midwife who says its just bubba moving down more... Is anyone else getting this? Its really quite painful at times. Owwww

Zxx

Replies

• hello

i am getting backache but have spasm in one hip throughout the day that makes me gasp and i have to reajust my position to relive it, i havent found anything that really helps i'm afraid, i do have to instructions of exercises for the ball if you want me to message them to you x
  • hi

this is sciatica, a trapped nerve in the spine that should right itself after birth

hope this helps xxx
  • Thanks ladies, pain doesn't shoot down my leg, just stays in buttock area - had a job to get up this morning!!

PP - yes please message me with exercises, that would be fab - thanks.

Zxx
  • Hiya,

I've had what sounds like this on and off since about 10 weeks! Afraid its just a case of changing position/getting up and down carefully. I mentioned it to my midwife and she gave me a leaflet on back exercises - all very well but it's not really in my back?! Feels more like coccyx to me.

I've self diagnosed on the internet and put it down to Pelvic Girdle Pain, for which there is no treatment or cure (the joys!) but it does say it goes after baby's born. It's caused by all the ligament movement that goes on down there in preparation for baby. It also said that it's often misdiagnosed as sciatica.

I've just invested in a support belt to see if that helps. Not tried it yet.
  • peeweesmum - just been reading about pelvic girdle pain and I identify with it all! Looks like this is what I am suffering from. Great!! Oh well.... the joys eh!

Zxx
  • yeah I would have said PGP or SPD which is what I have, had it worse last time though. Before I was told what it was by physio I had thought it was sciatica.

Getting out of bed can be one of the worse times but be careful to keep your knees together when turning over and take your time, try not to push or move anything with your feet it'll hurt like hell. Pelvic tilts (small ones)on the ball help a bit, paracetemol is a must for me though and white tiger balm/heat rub. A warm hot water bottle over your hip will help to relax any muscle that has tightened above your hip (mine needed to be massaged out by the physio which killed) sitting on hard furniture is a bit better than soft sofa although I agree, sitting or standing for long periods isn't great either way.

Also if you stand with your ball against the wall with your feet a bit more than shoulder width apart, and just bend your knees slightly and then come back up this will help. My physio also gets me to do the yoga cat move (on all fours, don't let you back arch down though, breath in and arch your back up on the exhale which helps to gently stretch your lower back.

Long post but hope that helps.
  • Thanks for advice 30somethin - much appreciated. Zxx
  • Just to update about the belt...I bought a Nexcare one (I'd seen it on the NCT website, but actually got it off ebay) and it's fab. The best use I've found is when standing up and walking around - things get a bit tight if I'm wearing it while sitting down. But normally it takes me a few mins to compose myself to get up off the sofa, whereas with the belt on I leap straight up! It's like being normal again! Would definitely recommend image
  • Thanks for info. Will look into it. Zxx