Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Raspberry Leaf Tea

Hi All

Are we able to start having this yet? and is it worth it? I'm 33 weeks tomorrow.

Thanks ladies

xx

Replies

• don't waste your money! i tired every last single thing you can think of...all of it from about 35 weeks onwards and NOTHING WORKED. anything safe I tried lol and she was late!

Although i think maybe the accupuncture did it in the end!
  • i have to agree with jubilee i tried everything from about 34 wks and i mean everything lol and i was still 10 days late unless i just had a lazy girl that did not want to come out so i would save ur money and just enjoy ur last few wks baby will arrive when its ready x
  • I'm not sure!!! I used it and the Drs said it's what gave me preeclampsia! I've researched it and not seen any findings to suggest this though!

I had an amazing labour, don't know if it was down to tea or not???

Sorry pointless answer cause I'm unsure myself too!! Xx
  • I think you can start taking it from 32 wks. Don't think it's meant to bring on labour earlier, just make your labour quicker. x
  • Thanks ladies for your responses. I thought it was supposed to help strengthen your uterus or something? Not really wanting to bring on early labour but just thought it might help the whole process.

xx
  • Hey

I tried everything too, spesh when i hit the due date but was still 12 days late and my labour was 27 hours and shoulder dystocia lol

Its supposed to prepare the cervix and make it a smoother birth.. although like the other ladies say i think it depends on your body

• Hi,

Ive never heard its supposed to bring on labour.

The only things ive ever read is that it tones your uterus and makes the second stage of labour quicker?!

I drank the tea in my second pregnancy, because i quite like the taste and my uterus contracted back really quickly after the birth. No idea if it made any difference really i think its a preference kind of thing.

• G/C but I think its a common misconception that it brings on labour, I mean it doesn't say anywhere in info about rasberry leaf tea that this is what its for. It is said to help strengthen the uterus and help with the 2nd stage of labour.

I drank it and had quite a quick labour, only pushing for 27 mins with my first baby so I believe it is possible that it helped me, and in any case I didn't have any adverse effects from it and enjoyed it as an alternative to regular tea.

I'm just over 34 weeks and have started drinking it again so hoping for another quick ish birth.
  • I am taking it and have been since 32weeks in preparation for my induction. I didn't take it with my first induction and I was in labour for 4 days and pushed for hours before a forceps delivery. The second time round I was determined to do everything not to have a long induction like that so took RLT and EPO from 32 weeks - advice from my widwife at time said it was ok as RLT tones your uterus and makes it more effective during labour. I was in labour for 2 hours and 50 minutes and pushed for 3 minutes - very different from first.

The EPO helped as well as I took it orally and (TMI alert) used it internally as well. That is supposed to help soften your cervix etc. WHen I went in for my induction ith my 2nd baby I was already 3.5cm dilated with a very favourable cervix that was soft.

I am taking both of these again in the hope that they wll have the same affect this time when I am induced in 4weeks time.