Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breech baby

Hi ladies,

I'm 36+3 and had my midwife appt today and she confirmed baby is breech. She metnioned he might be at 34 weeks, and so I've been trying to sit on all fours etc to get him moving but nothing appears to have helped.

We have a scan tomo to confirm his position and see a consultant to talk through the options. I don't feel as scared as I did a few weeks ago as I've done lots of research about Csecs etc and tips for turning baby, so that I know I'm doing everything I can.

Just wondered whether any other July babies are currently breech, it would be good to share thoughts and experiences with someone.

Thanks x

Replies

• Hopefully still head down as per appt last week but thought I'd just reply as I had worried about this and think I'd always at least go for a manual turn by the consultant. I know it doesn't always work and can be very uncomfortable but worth a go I'd say. I suppose as long as you're well informed you can still feel in control of things. Good luck with the scan and apt anyway fingers crossed
  • I'm currently 36+1 and my baby is breech. I'm booked in for a c-section at 39 weeks unless the baby turns before then. I have a bicornuate uterus so (a) it's unlikely the baby will be able to turn and (b) they don't like to try and turn the baby. My first child was breech and I had an emergency c-section with her at 36+6.
  • Thanks ladies, he was confirmed as extended breech yesterday and we're booked in for a manual turn procedure on Monday.

MrsIgglepiggle - how did you find the csec recovery?

• really hope baby can be turned for you x
  • The recovery wasn't too bad. It was quite painful about 9 hours after the c-section when the epidural wore off and until the painkillers kicked in but it didn't last long. Walking was slow progress the first couple of days and I didn't sleep too well the first night. My scar healed really well and I was driving within four weeks. I'm not scared about having another one so it can't have been that bad! Good luck x
  • GC...I had my breech baby turned at 38 weeks (a long time ago now) He had been breech all along so they werent too optimistic. It wasnt painful at all just a bit uncomfortable and a bit wierd. Only took about 10 mins. They did warn me that I might go into labour and there was a posibility that he might turn back. I felt fine afterward, just a bit crampy. Adam stayed in there for another 4 weeks pointing the right way and his birth was what I call a tv birth. I was sitting up smiling for the cameras right away.(epidural helped). Anyway, Adam is 13 now but I just thought I would share my experience with you. Good luck xxx
  • THanks ladies. JUst to update you, we had the ECV this morning and unfortunateloy baby woulodn't budge! The doctor managed to turn him so far to encourage him to do a forward roll but he wasn't having any of it! Hubby and I are quite happy that we've tried everything and he's clearly comfortable where he is so we're booked in for an elective c-section at 39 weeks. I'm actually quite excited about the csec as it means we won't get caught out as with a natural birth and we can plan things a lot better around the birth.

x x
  • Sorry to hear the ecv didn't work but as you say you tried everyhting and it's great that you have a positive outlook on things hope everyhting goes well with the c section keep us posted x
  • Hi

I'm G/C from due in september but this is something I worry about and also because I currently have a low lying placenta I know there is a small chance of a c section.

I've had 3 abdominal surgeries via laparoscopy in the past so want to avoid surgery at all costs.

Can I ask when they make the decision to go for the c section if the baby is breech?

I'm only just coming on for 30 weeks so suspect I have a bit of time to try some things out. Any advice on how to turn him would be great if you don't mind sharing?

Best of luck to you RS2! xx
  • Hi RS

I also posted on your thread in Baby

Sorry to hear that the ECV didn't work. Fingers crossed that baby turns.

My baby was footling breech and born by CS on a day of her choice as she didn't want to wait for the scheduled CS LOL

I actually find the recovery was great, am walking a bit slowly and pushing the pram is still not allowed but apart from that I feel fine and was never in any pain really.

Good luck hun xxx
  • Hi ladies,

TulipRose - They've made the decision at 37 weeks. I had a scan at 36+4 which confirmed breech position, and then we had the option to have the manual turning (ECV), and this took place at 37 weeks. As it was unsuccessful the consultant then discussed csection with us, and we're booked in for 39+2.

In terms of tips to turn baby, I tried sitting on all fours, lying on my back with raised hips, 2 sessions of moxibustion acupunture and the ECV. I was so uncomfortable and unhappy sitting on all fours and lying with raised hips, so now we're booked in for csection I've decided to just relax and sit however is comfy for me for the last 2 weeks of pregnancy - it's not worth me getting down about.

Hope you manage to avoid a csection if it will cause complications with your previous surgery history.

Shuck - thanks for your post - i've read lots of reassuring posts re. csection so feeling quite positive about things now. My OH will be off work for 2.5 weeks once the baby is born and my mum is a teacher so I know she'll be around when the schools breakup to help out also.

x x