Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Need a kick up the bottom!!!!

Hey guys,

i havent been on here in so long, and i cant believe august babies are already here or on their way -so exciting!!! Congratulations to you all x

Now ive got less than 5 weeks to go (due 19th aug) and realy need someone to tell me to get my act together! Ive got so much to do its unreal, the cot is up but full of stuff that needs sorting, still got to finish packing my hospital bag, need to wash and sort out all my daughters old clothes ready for baby, and the house is in such a mess. I will shamefully admit that i still have various boxes that havent been unpacked when we moved in last oct!!! Im only just thinking about labour, allthough i have done it before but im sure it can differ so much each time, especialy since my last one was so quick. Plus its my partners first time and he just doesnt want to talk about it!!

so im beginning to panic a bit now i think, realy need to sort myself out, im just feeling so tired image

anyway, dont realy need a reply, just helps writing all the things down so i can see how much i need to do.

So congratulations again to those of you who already have their gorgeous babies and good luck to everyone else -not long left!!!! x

Replies

• hi emmybump!

Im due 18th august with my first. I have now finished work so this week is big clean week (gutting every room as house is a mess and want to do this before i get too massive). Am getting there with the nursery and my lovely mum has packed me a hospital bag so not got that to worry about. Still got to pack my baby's bag though need to buy cotton wool and nappies. Also thinking id better get my tens machine on order and might get a birthing ball.

Have a list of jobs for OH that i cant do and feel bad as he's working hard - but they need to be done pre baby. Need the outside gate to open both ways so i can get the pram through, the pram needs sorting, light fittings need doing, upstairs tv needs a proper arial so i can watch it while i feed! I feel like we wont know whats hit us and life will never be the same again so want it all done and ready.

We live in a small 2 bed semi and the plan was to extend and have a third bedroom before baby arrived, the reality is we couldnt afford it so i am disappointed it wont quite be the home i wanted for our new family. We plan to move early next year but feel i want to make as much effort as i can with our little place in the meantime!

it must all be so different when its your 2nd time, you have everything already and you have another little one to sort out. I bet you dont have nearly as much to do as you think, washing and ironing and tidying up will all be done soon enough. I think men are in two different camps about labour - those that think ignorance is bliss and those that need to know. My OH wants to know lots so have been trying to prepare him. I work with women in labour so got a good idea, although i know it will never prepare me for the reality of being in that pain myself! OH is more nervous than me at the moment but im sure it will all change on the day. I need to feel im totally ready for the baby and i knnow this will help a lot with me staying calm, which is why ive finished work a bit early (also my job isnt the sort of job you can work right up in). Were you early/late/on time last time? My midwife has told me the babys been head down in my pelvis since 31 weeks and bump is low so im hoping for 38 weeks ish - although i know nature decides, not me! :lol:
  • Hi Alfie

SO i packed my hospital bag today -at least thats one thing done, tho still need to add nursing bras and muslin squares, oh and the presant from baby to my little girl!! I got the car seat down and have set that up, and have been through a few boxes, but to be honest its quite tiring and my little girl realy isnt helping -though im sure she thinks she is!! lol But a little each day and i should get there.

I completely forgot about hiring a TENS machine!! I hired one last time and i want to again, but seam to have let that completly slip my mind! Where are you getting yours from? I got mine from tescos last time, but i think boots do them too?

I also haddnt thought about trying my pushchair through the doors and gate! Ive a huge silvercross one and we're in a different house, so should check that out hey!!

I wouldnt worry about the size of your house, your baby will be in with you to start off, and tbh i hardly used my little girls room to start off with, its when they start collectig toys you have to worry! :lol: WE only have a 2 bedroomed house so the baby will just have to fit. Though we may look for something bigger over the next year or two.

Its good that your baby is head down already, mine was but now im not too sure. A huge movement woke me up the other night and now my bump looks different but i cant decide wich way its laying now. Still we've got a while for them to move into possition yet....fingers crossed! I was only a day early last time and thankfully had a straight forward fairly quick birth. Hopefully i will get the same this time, though for some reason im convinced i will have to have an emergency c-section which absolutly terrifies me :?

Anyway, thanks for replying, though hopefully ive given myself a big enough kick up the bottom and should soon be ready!!!!! lol
  • I wouldn't worry. You will get there. My daughter is 3 weeks old now. She was due 1st August and arrived 26th June. I didn't have a hospital bag packed either. I packed it just before I went to hospital. My waters broke at 34+6 days. My first daughter was born at 34+4 weeks so you think I would have been more prepared this time around. However you always get there and you have your partner to get you anything you need when you are in hospital. I didnt have much really organised at home either although I did have my first daughters vests etc washed and ready and the pram and car seat all washed down and ready. I also had bottles bought. Other things were time enough until after. I didn't know I was having another girl so I left all the other clothes to wash until the baby was born.
  • thanks emmybump, you reminded me to add my muslin squares!

Not packed the baby bag but picked up nappies, nappies sacks, wipes cotton wool so guess i just need to put it all together - guess thats tomorrows job.

Also picked up top and tail bowl today as i know its best to use cotton wool and water for baby's bum for a bit. I know this isnt practical when out and about so bought some wipes as well, but cant bear to think of he/she having a red bottom so will try and go easy on them to start with! Also got the nipple cream and nursing bras sorted today. And got OH a papoose for our 1st wedding anniversary this weekend! Not the most romantic of presents but hey, its only the 1st one, i only have to get him paper!I still have lots of big cleaning jobs to do and sorting - every time i do a couple of hours i feel exhausted! Will be annoyed if, by an outside chance i labour next week and didnt do it. If only we had a crystal ball so we knew exactly how long we had :/

Louise N hope you are getting on ok? You must be doing all right to get on here! Ive been lucky enough to be given two car seats that are identical and both clip on my pram. Ive dismantled them both to wash them and have had a hell of a job fitting them back together - think you need a degree for it! My OH will be ok at nipping to the shops for things for me but is useless at housework/tidying so i know i have to have these things sorted.x
  • So louise, how are you finding being a mummy again? Is your older daughter liking being a big sister? I too dont know what im having this time, so im just (going to be) washing all the unisex things and leaving the obveous girl clothes to wash later - though if its a boy he may have to wear a bit of pink!!! lol :lol:

Alfie, you've reminded me to get nipple cream! Thought id done buying the basics.....also if i remember rightly, last time i got (i think it was) johnsons baby lotion to keep in the change bag and used that for nappy changing with the cotton wool, along with the wipes, as i too diddnt like the idea of just wipes when out. The lotion will also moisturise aswell as cleaning. Just an idea!

I used my papoose loads last time, and think i will even more this time whilst running arround after my toddler!!! Deffinatly a great buy. Im very tempted to get a moby wrap this time too, they look realy good but are so expensive!

Getting there slowly................. :lol:
  • make sure you get lansinoh nipple cream (purple and white tube) pricey but worth every penny x
  • Sorry haven't been on in a while. Everything good with us. Rebekah doing great & growing loads. Kara loves being a big sister & isn't jealous at all which helps a lot. She is actually a great help with Rebekah. She walks around the house with her own doll treating it like her baby which us good & I believe helps. I'm not finding it much different with 2 at the minute because Rebekah sleeps a lot between feeds. As she gets older & stats awake for linger I'm sure we will notice the difference. I do have my husband at home helping & he us brilliant so that makes a difference. He was working full time after I had Kara but isn't working now.
  • Louise, im glad your all getting on well, and its great to hear that Kara is taking to being a big sister so well. My little girl loves her "babies" (dolls) so im hoping, like kara, she will play alongside me looking after the baby. I have got her a change bag, nappies and a sling carrier as a pressent from the baby, which i think she will enjoy. Still worried about the sudden change in the amount of attention she will get. I will have to set time aside just for the 2 of us. But like you say, at first i guess theres lots of time while the baby is sleeping!

Hope your recovery after the birth was ok, and that your feeling back to your normal self now! image
  • Im sure your daughter will be fine. I thought the change would be major for Kara but we just went with the flow and everything was fine. As you said the baby sleeps a lot when they are born so you can use this time for spending time with your lo.

Im fine after the birth. It was pretty straight forward so I was lucky enough. Glad to be up and about now and able to do things. I hated being preganant and was glad when it was all over. I know some people love and miss their bumps but I am not one of them lol