Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

stressed

Sorry Alfie, I'm probably butting in here. I'm DIS, but I keep nosily wandering across here now in search of early birth stories. Anyway, thought I'd add my twopence (for what it's worth!)

I KNOW it's bloody hard work when you feel like you're doing the whole preparation thing on your own, and you DO feel like it should be something not only that they help with, but that they WANT to be part of. I feel very similar. From trying to find names, to writing lists of things we'll need, to working out models of different things are suitable etc. it's mainly me that's doing it all in our house too.

I know you're concerned with more than the normal 'head in sand' thing that a lot of blokes do with a baby on the way but I think it's best not to add this to the list of problems. Especially as I do think it's a little bit understandable that blokes do do this. Nesting isn't a cliche for nothing- it's a biological urge. Blokes just don't have it. Also, they obviously don't feel the little critter growing day-by-day.

I'm 32 weeks on Tuesday and my fella too is doing a very good ostrich impression atm! I have a friend who offered me a brilliant piece of parenting advice, which I think I'm going to try and apply to ALL my relationships from now on- 'Pick your battles'. With my OH I've thought about what it is I REALLY want/need him to be involved with/excited about. For me, it's the name thing, being a damned good birthing partner, and from a practical point of view, we need to shop for buggies together. So, I've ignored everything else. I'm happy to deal with the rest in fact. He's now working on the names thing. We're off to look at buggies today. And knowing I'm only relying on myself to come up with the goods on everything else stops me sending silent daggers at him for not doing other stuff! :0)

I also think, in order to relax, it's important to work out what's actually NECESSARY to be done. Will the world end if the light fitting isn't done tomorrow, and you go and spend some time together instead?

The thing is, I KNOW for him, he needs to see the baby before he gets fully involved, and I'm ok with that. I fully trust he'll rise to the occasion, and that's when things like the light fittings might be attended to!

I know you've been having problems for a long while and it's particularly horrid that you've been so unhappy during what should be such a special time. But since you HAVE made it this far with him, I reckon the best thing now, is to just try and relax.

I think this part of pregnancy is hard enough without trying to resolve EVERYTHING in the last couple of weeks.

The extra worrying isn't good for you or the baby, and since this baby WILL be coming very soon regardless, you may as well chill.

Wait and see how OH reacts when that time comes in a few days. He may meet all your 'father' standards then, and you'll have been worried for nothing on that account.

Obviously if he doesn't get his act together, or your feelings towards him then don't change, (and your happiness DOES matter just as much as the baby- never feel guilty if this just isn't working) I think you do have a lot to think about. But in the mean time I'd just kick back a bit, and have fun getting ready for what will probably be the most exciting event of our life so far!

Replies

• Options
    Oh Alfie....

this is SO unfair on you AGAIN! I mean Harry potter has been out a week he could have gone after work through the week with his nephew image Or next week...and he certainly doesnt need to be out ALL day image I agree with the above post that the stuff you want him to do tomorrow can wait till next weekend and you can spend time together. If he doesnt want to then ask him why? You have only been married a year and he hasnt exactly been the best husband in the world for at least 9 of the 12 months.

Does he think that he can just change for a couple of days and then you'll forget about it and he can go back to being awful?

I know that men sometimes dont step up until the baby is here but thats no excuse for the way he is treating YOU without even factoring the baby into it. The things your asking him to do is stuff you cant do like going in the loft etc...but you could prioritise or possibly ask your wonderful dad for a bit more help AGAIN i know it isnt his place at all but if it helps you im sure he wont mind. YOU need to feel like its all done (and you certainly seem to be getting there now image So give yourself a pat on the back for managing so well on your own and take pride that you have coped alone your baby is SO lucky to have such a strong mummy image It seems pointless to be nagging your OH because it seems all it achieves is draining you of any energy you have and making you miserable the job is still left undone and this only serves to irritate you further! Maybe you should try to treat him with the contempt he deserves. STOP nagging him like i say ask family and friends to help (believe me ive found that most people are only to glad to help...you dont have to say you and OH are having problems just say hes EXTREMELY busy with work atm so your trying to take some pressure off him) so it gets done quickly and effectively really sounds like your almost there image Then you have no reason to nag him for stuff around the house. Just do your tidying etc and be calm as you can. YOU arrange to go OUT at the WEEKEND when hes home from work i dont care if you go sit in the library or for a cuppa at your mums or friends just go out and LEAVE him. Dont ask if its ok just tell him your going the way he does with you.

ATM he seems to think he has the upper hand and that you NEED him and you certainly DO NOT need him hun you can do this on your own your proving that image I know you dont want too so thats why your sticking with him atm and thats more credit to you in the long run. You need to show him you dont need him and that hes lucky you havent threw him out on his arse by now image Try and remind him why he fell in love with you if you want and equally remember why you fell in love with him why you thought he would be the person best suited to father your child image Its hard i can only imagine...if your anthing like me atm you dont even remember who you were anymore...life pre pregnancy seems a distant memory i dont remember feeling sexy or desirable i dont remember what its like to put myself first i dont remember what its like to see my feet or tie my own shoes lol but if i sit and try it makes me feel better im still me and your still you and deserve to be treat better than you are atm image Ask yourself would you be putting up with such behaviour if you werent pregnant? Maybe if you and OH can focus on each other instead of the baby and the house (just for one day) it would alleviate the pressure a little bit image Men REALLY dont understand what its like to be pregnant or prepare for a baby really i have a lovely male friend who i was talking to the other day slagging my ex off (as i enjoy to do these days lol) saying how he hadnt bought anything for baby at all and my friend was like but the baby isnt here and i was like whats that got to do with anything and his reply was well what does the baby need before its born? I was like are you kidding? He said no i would never think to buy anything before it was born and believe me he is a lovely guy so sweet and caring and he didnt see my problem. Men and women really are from different planets so i can sort of forgive your OH for his lack of urgency though it is frustrating for you image He has NO excuse however for making you feel like you dont even count in his world...I know that this advice is just advice but i hope you can take comfort in it and try some of it if you think it will help. Please keep posting when you need to its good for you to release when you stop releasing it then you may end up in big bother with your emotions etc and NONE of us want that image ALWAYS here for you hun image xxxxxxxxxxxx Oh and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY (hopefully) xxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    You are not wearing anyone's patience thi and it's no wonder you're depressed with your 1st anniversary looming. I imagine you, naturally, expected it to be a time of real happiness.

I do think men generally do not get this sense of urgency that we do. Yes, it's not the end of teh world if a light switch doesn't get done BUT i'm sorry when you're nesting it damn well does! DIS ladies trust me when that nesting kicks in it really kicks in and i've been having major wobblers at my hubby for his very relaxed and leisurely pace of decorating.

The mw telling him the baby could arrive at anytime, me having a seies of hideous braxton hicks in B+Q and me telling him about the august babies being born already has given him a much needed kick up the arse!

Your hubby is a little different as throughout your pregnancy he hasn't done a great deal and like you say he coudl have included himself a whole lot more than he has. I don't agree that men are the outsiders in pregnancy, I think it's a cop out for excluding himself from it.

The positives are that he seems to be a really good uncle and hopefully this means he'll also be a good daddy. It's just sad that he's not that nuturing of you. Was he like this before you got pregnant? Maybe he'll surprise you and has been planning a nice treat for you tomorrow.

Your Mum and Dad sound really lovely and it's so good you have their support. Will your Mum be there when you give birth?xxx
  • Options
    Hey alfie

i want to give you and big bump a massive hug!

I hope you have a lovely first year anniversary today x x x

you really deserve it. . Your Hubby needs to make you happy you are carrying his child!. . Anyway have wonderful day whatever you do x x speak soon alfie. . Booey x