Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep deprivation.

Is anyone else struggling through the night?

Phoebe has no problems at all sleeping through the day, waking up to be fed and changed but at night it is a whole other ballgame. I have tried keeping to a bedtime routine of, change, bath, feed and bed but she wont settle and is very grizzly. She will fall asleep being cradled but as soon as she is put in her cot she wakes.

Replies

• ME!!!

I am sleep deprived and getting a little grouchy with it!

My DD slept so well, she would feed every 3 hours sleeping in between and having some awake times, then she slept through the night from 10pm - 6am from ten weeks old.

Finley, on the other hand, is a completely different matter! He is a grazer, he'll feed for a bit then doze for a bit, then wake for more food but fall asleep... he is awake and alert for long periods of time with small feeds in between.

He was going 3-4 hours at night last week but this week he has been unsettled and wide awake all pm till about midnight then falls asleep for 3-4 hours then wakes at about 4am and stays awake till my DD gets up at 6am then he falls asleep!!!! I am shattered...

Then today is different again, he's slept since 4pm and is still asleep now - usually this is his awake time....

I have no idea what's coming next, he has no pattern, he is gorgeous and very chilled out but I love routine and this is a nightmare for me! Am trying to relax and go with him but am suffering with the lack of sleep...

You can see how sleep deprivation is used as torture.

let's hope we all get some sleep soon - these shattering early days don't last forever! xxxx
  • Shelley - Your Phoebe and my Jazmine are peas in a pod!!

She does exactly that, sleeps great in the day but grissly at night. Last night she was feeding pretty much every hour!! It was a nightmare!! She also has no problem falling asleep in our arms, but as soon as she gets put down in the moses basket, she wakes up - aghhh!!!

We don't really have a set routine yet, but she wakes and sleeps roughly the same each day. So it's a start.... image

Roo - I hope we all get some decent sleep soon too!

It is all worth it as I only have to look at her and I'm so totally in love. She's amazing really and I keep forgetting she's only just 3 weeks old - ahhhhh.

Zxx
  • My Phoebe does the same, I decided that it was the moses basket because in the day we sleep her on a cushion and she sleeps for ages. So I got a really thick blanket and put it on the bottom of the moses basket with the safety mattress on top. I also put a double sheet on the mattress to make it more comfy. Then I swaddle her on a swaddling blanket. It has worked much better for the last couple of nights, but she is only 1 week old so things may change!!
  • We had a similar thing last week with lo and realised that he'd outgrown the moses basket - he was waking himself up by hitting the sides with his arms and legs when he stretched and moved in his sleep. we've now put him in the pram carrycot which is longer and wider and he has slept better since.

I agree with having a thinker blanket too, as this keeps lo snug and secure and he doesn't seem to wake up as much as when he had a thin blanket - suppose he can't kick it off as easily!

LO generally feeds at 9ish, falls asleep in our arms, goes into his cot at 10ish, wakes for a feed at 1.30am, 4:30am, and wakes at 8am.

• Thank goodness I am not alone. I was beginning to feel like I was doing something wrong.

Hopefully things will get better for us soon and we can all get a good nights sleep :roll:
  • Sleep left our house long ago. William is the same, hence I've only just managed to start checking the forums now. So tired all the time.
  • sleep whats that?

my toddler is playing up at night so i have 2 of them to deal with and no day time nap for me image i'm like a zombie!

she'll go down fab after the first night feed but the second one is anothere story, i did get her to go down the other night but then DS cam in wailing and woke her and she was then awake!