Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My baby has colic :(

Phoebe is three weeks and two days old today and has been suffering from trapped wind and colic for about two weeks. I started out breast feeding her but on the advice of the midwife topped up with formula because she was hungry whilst I waited for my milk to come in. Only, my milk never really did. I tried everything to get a good flow going - expressing and getting her to suckle as much as I could but it wasnt to be. I breastfed her for just two and a half weeks and topped up with formula before my boobs finally gave up and just refused to put out any more milk. Everyone told me that when I stopped bf my boobs would get really painful and hard before the milk disapaited but they didnt at all. I had no leakage or anything. I was determind before I gave birth that I wouldnt feel guilty for not bf if it didnt work but I really do, especially as she has colic and all I can think is surely if I could boob feed she would be fine? I really enjoyed bf and the bonding experience, I'm gutted that we cant continue with it but Phoebe just gets into such a state when I try to feed her and nothing comes out. So we are on to formula, when I was topping up I used SMA gold but at about 12 days old she was really sick and I panicked and changed her to aptimil which was a huge mistake - that made her even more windy! We changed her back and she is now feeding a little better but is struggling to poo. Her poo is also green which I am told is common with colicy babies. So evenings in my house now revolve around my baby screaming for about three hours before eventually calming down completely shattered. I have found a bath helps her to settle, but she has to get the screaming out of her system first. Its horrible because she wont eat, I cant wind her because she arches her back and throws herself around, oh and of course every one decideds they have an opinion on how to settle her. I almost fell out with MIL because she witnessed an attack and just kept telling me to give her to her! I know people mean well but the last thing I want to do is give her to someone who will just try and force feed her through her screams. I have also refused to allow anyone other than hubby and myself to feed her because they dont wind her properly and she ends up being sick. Everyone thinks I am being over protective and MIL thinks I am shutting her out but I cant just sit there and watch other people try and force milk down her throat when she is crying with wind and needs to be burped. People seem to think if she doesnt butp after two minutes she doesnt have any trapped wind, then they go to feed her again, she cries and gets into a state and is then sick. My mum is being great about it because I was a colicy baby and so she recognises what is happening. MIL on the other hand has never had a baby with colic and so doesnt believe me and makes me feel like I am a bad mother. Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant! Any advice on soothing a baby with colic would be much appreciated. Or on how to beat the constipation? I really feel like I am doing a crappy job of taking care of my baby at the minute image

Replies

• Options
    Hi GB

First of all you are not being a crap mother!!!

We started Jazmine on SMA Gold, which left her constipated and very uncomfortable, so we changed to Hipp Organic, first infant milk, and straight away (within 6 hours), she had a bowel movement and became much more settled. We have since been told that SMA is quite a rich formula and can lead to digestive issues for some babies.

Which bottles are you using? We are using Avent Anti Colic bottles, but have heard that the Dr Browns bottles are very good for colicy babies (although a bit fiddly to wash so we have read).

With Jazmine, we always break off the feed about 2-3 times, sometimes she has a burp, sometimes not. However, we always make sure she stays upright for at least 10-15 mins after her bottle.

We did try and move onto the next size teat, a no. 2 one, but found the milk flow too fast for her (but she is a guzzler). We may well try them again in a few weeks or so.

Don't listen to your mother in law, you know your baby best!!!

Zoe xx
  • Options
    Glitterbug, my phoebe hasn't got colic but is suffering with reflux. She is being breastfed and up to an hour and a half after a feed she can be sick and in that period she screams as though she is in real pain and too arches her back and tries to crawl up my chest. It breaks my heart because there is nothing I can do to relieve the pain.

Her symptoms sound similar to your Phoebe so could she too be suffering with reflux???

I went to the HV yesterday and described Phoebes symptoms to her. She agreed with me and out us to see the Dr who has prescribed infant gaviscon so hopefully that will help.

My phoebe's symptoms are

Struggling to burp

being sick hours after a feed (not sicking milk but real vomit with a sick smell)

Not settling at night in her crib due to being on her back.

Wailing as though in pain and not just a cry for hunger/change ect....

Just a thought
  • Options
    jasmine has colic and colief has been a lifesaver, we have gone from 6 hours of screaming to a few grizzy hours before bedtime, i breastfeed and let me tell you it doesnt make her colic any better!

on the forumla front might be worth trying one esp for colic and constipation as it has less lactose in, they are more expensive but worth it if they work

you managed over 2 weeks of BF which is fab, its so hard even with plenty of milk, i had the same with DS and stopped after a week as he lost too much weight, luckily this time i have milk although its not been plain sailing at all, sadly i have never lost the guilty feeling but it does get better

never feel guilty for doing the best for your baby and certainly never let anyone make you feel bad for not letting them interfere! its just tough

hope things pick up for you x