Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

Six Week Checks-slightly o/t

I just wondered what happened at your 6 week checks with the doctor? I moved gp around the time of the birth so it was my first appointment with my new doctor and I feel it wasn't much of a check up.

He asked me if it was a normal birth, I wasn't sure what he meant so I told him it was a natural birth but I had 4th degree tear and blood transfusion. He asked about contraception, then told me condoms are not very effective. The only other thing we covered was "you aren't feeling down, are you?" Which is not a thorough check for pnd in my opinion.

I needed to have a blood test because of my transfusion, but I had to ask him for one. I had expected that he would also have offered to do an internal as the hospital said the gp would check and refer me back to consultant if it wasn't normal.

What is meant to happen at the check? He never even felt my tummy to see if my uterus has shrunk back. Was I just expecting too much from the appointment?

Replies

• I felt exactly the same after my 6 week check. She barely asked me anything - same questions as you really - asked me if a natural delivery, did I have a tear, contraception and asked me if I felt down also (agree not enough to establish pnd!)

She more focused on contraception than anything else which is completly unnecessary I know the options! She didn't check my stitches as I thought she was going to.

I was really disappointed and she scared me about Ella's development as she had dropped a centile, but hv was not concerned at all - not sure what to think!

To be honest I have been really disappointed with the whole level of care I have recieved - especially as a first time Mum! image

I hope this helps x
  • Hey,

I think mine was much the same but I think a great deal of that was as I was a bit dismissive re questions about myself- contraception? 'know what I'm doing, fine thank you', coping? 'yes thank you' as I was more concerned re baby not eating and wanted to cover that. It is my second tho so might have made me a bit more like that.

What I would say esp as you had such a tough labour if you feel remotely concerned go back and see another dr... for the check they have a number of tick boxes they have to complete for which is why it feels like a form filling excercise coz in reality it is and the truth of the matter is if you have a gp with no bedside manner you will get nothing from it. If you feel you need more help or are worried you need to say as unfortunately as mb says the after care nowadays is next to none unless you speak up. Such a shame really.

• Mine was v similar except I had to do a PND questionaire and have my blood pressure checked xx
  • Mine was pretty basic, just asked was I ok, talked about contraception etc. Didn't feel tummy, but midwifes had checked that a lot after Jazmine was born, as my BP was high for many weeks after, I saw them regularly and they checked every time. x