Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

No weight gain

I had Phoebe weighed on Tuesday as she is 3 months today. Due to her feeding for long stretches of time (see my previous post) I thought she was having a growth spurt and expected her to have put on at least 8 ounces.....

She hasn't put on any weight at all :cry: IN TWO WEEKS!!!!! and still weighs only 10lb 7oz.

The health visitor didn't seem overly worried but i was devastated and have really started to question breastfeeding it has given my confidence a real knock.

The HV said that the weight issue aside Phoebe was a picture of health and very alert. She has recommended that as Phoebe is sleeping completely through the night to add another feed in during the day to compensate so i am going back to three hourly feeds. The problem is she just doesn't cry for hunger and is a very content baby.

Feeling a bit useless at the moment image

Replies

• dont feel useless, you're doing an amazing job, you'll prob find she has a bigger weight gain next time, it does settle the older they get.

if she's sleeping through thats maybe a reason for it (finley feeds every hour-2hours day and night, i'd rather he went longer!) could you offer her a dream feed at 10/11pm ish as these babies are amazing at feeding in their sleep?

if she's happy and contented then she's obviously getting what she needs. don't doubt your breastfeeding, your body and your baby are incredible things and they will both be providing/getting exactly what is needed! x
  • I can fully understand how you feel. We have had a similar problem with Ella.

She has been gaining weight, but in very small amounts. She has dropped 2 centiles on the chart, but the HV said the same to me that as long as she is alert and eating then they are not concerned.

We are bottle feeding Ella, but to help we fed her more frequently (every 3 hours to fit 5 feeds in during the day)and changed her food to the Hungry Baby and it seems to have helped as at last weigh in she had gained a better amount. It sounds like increasing Phoebe's feeds to every 3 hours should help.....

Like Phoebe, Ella is a contented baby and doesn't cry for food and sleeps through the night. Whilst that is great, it does make it harder to know what they need.

I know it's hard not to blame yourself when they are not doing as well as you want them to be, but please try not to. It's just a sign that something needs changing and you will get there.........you are doing a great job! x