Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Traumatic night

Last night Phoebe's motion sensor alarm went off twice. Ther first time it was just a 2 second sound that woke me but by the time I had got my head around what was happening it had stopped. I checked Phoebe and she was fine leading me to think I had dreamed it. Obviously I couldnt go back to sleep and I just lay there watching the monitor flash. Even though Phoebe's cot is right next to me I didnt want to touch her for fear of causing the monitor to flash at my touch rather than her breathing. About five minutes later it happened again but it didn't stop. I screamed and grabbed her out of the cot and she wriggled and stretched but wouldnt stir straight away. I sat there craddling her telling her to wake up over and over and eventually she opened her eyes and smiled at me! She seemed completely fine - her colour was good, her temperature was normal and apart from a slightly stuffy nose she was completely fine. I fed her and put her back to bed but obviously I didnt sleep at all. My husband seems to think that she wriggled off the sensor pad and too be fair, after adjusting the pad it didnt happen again but I just cant stop crying. I didnt see her wriggling enough to move very far though. It was the most terrifying thing that has every happened and I dont know what to do now. What if she really did stop breathing? I feel like I want to take her to the doctors but I really dont know what I would say '12 hours ago my baby's sensor alarm went off twice but as soon as I roused her she smiled at me and took a 4 oz feed meaning it was probably just the sensor being in the wrong place. Anyway, I am completely neurotic and dont think I will ever sleep again so could you just please check her over for the sevenhundredth time since she was born?" I hate feeling so useless.

Replies

• Options
    Oh my god hun thats awful... I can completely understand how scared you must feel. I don't have a sensor but from what I understand they do have a tendancy to go off without there being a problem. I'm sure your hubby was right to move the sensor- they have an art these men of being incredibly calm and practical in a crisis when we go to pieces! Re the dr if you need to go to set your mind at rest then you go... they are there to help you and Phoebe so don't you worry about it- remember they are only people and probably have children themselves so will understand. Don't suffer in silence. I am sure though that she is fine- these little ones have a knack of scaring the life out of us Mummies- afraid that bit doesn't change as they get older, just different fears!

Thinking of you XXX
  • Options
    hi glitterbug,

sorry to hear about your traumatic night and i dont know your history at all so i there may be a very good reason for having the sensor alarm( if so ignore this post!), but i just wanted to say after spending the last 3 weeks and 2 days in the neo natal unit(my baby is there after being delivered at 34 weeks and very poorly)alarms are not always a goog thing!!! they will stress you out for no reason. They often go off for things such as a poor connection, baby may have had a feed or a small wiggle etc.. my baby is now not alarmed in hospitl because the nurses explained as soon as they medically dont need them they remove them as it causes more stress. All babies also pause in their breathing which is completely normal.

I totaly understand, but the nurses have convinced me not to buy any alarms for when she comes home because of the reasons you are experiencing. hope this helps if not just ignore this message!! xxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi glitterbug, sorry you have had such a fright. I have to say that is why we didn't get a sensor monitor because I knew it would drive me crazy.

I had heard that they sometimes go off for no reason and like angel heart says babies sometimes don't breath regularly so that could be a reason why it went off.

When I disturb matilda when she's sleeping she reacts the way you describe phoebe, even when she was already stirring so on that count I would try not to worry too much (although I know that's easier said then done).

If you are still worried then you should definitely speak to your health visitor or gp. They will be able to check phoebe over and/or reassure you. They should always take you seriously when you have concerns about a baby.

Angel heart, howe your little one is doing well image
  • Options
    how awful, its the reason we havent got one, as my friend's when off every night and drove her mad with worry!

hope all is well x
  • Options
    OMG GB!! Just read this, how awful!!! I completely understand how scared you must have felt!! I too have heard that sometimes they go off with no reason.

Really hope you haven't had a repeat episode.

Hope Phoebe ok?

Zxx