Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Putting baby to bed

Erin is now 13 weeks old and we haven't yet introduced a bedtime routine as such. We put her in her sleepsuit around 8pm and give her a feed but she is wide awake following her feed and doesn't go to sleep until about 9pm so we've been leaving her downstairs with us until we go to bed about 11.30 when we take her up into our room. I could put her in our room staright after her 8pm feed but I think she will just cry and I don't want her to wake my other daughter who is asleep by then.

Do you think she should be in a proper routine by now? Do you think I should just bite the bullet and try putting her upstairs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Options
    I could have writtent his post myself, except for the bit about leaving baby downstairs as I go to bed myself at 8pm. I would like to stay up later but I know he'd howl and wake up his sister if I left him upstairs and he won't settle downstairs with the TV on... so I am in the same boat as you...

I will keep checking for other peoples advice as I'd like to know how to get Finley into a routine (getting him to sleep upstairs on his own!) without it having an impact on my DD's sleep... is it even possible?????

xx
  • Options
    I bath Phoebe, dress her and then rake her into my room to feed with the lights off (I leave the hall light on and the door open a crack) After her feed we have cuddles, then I swaddle her and put her into her cot. Usually she is sleepy or asleep so I lay next to her and shhhhh her whilst resting my hand on her chest. When she is properly asleep (when the dummy pops out!) I retreat down stairs. She is usually asleep by 8, but to be honest I follow very quickly after because she still gets up twice in the night!
  • Options
    Hey IgglePiggle,

I do believe in routine but only because I had that drummed into me with my DD (now 3) mostly by my Mum so I did start with my DS(now 13 weeks) at about 8 weeks, to be honest though more for selfish reasons because I love my evenings with hubby and I and to be able to sit and have an adult conversation. We have nailed it now, bath and play time at 6pm, then like glitterbug bottle and bed after that... it has worked just sticking to the same thing. Our house is by no means perfect though, my DS is up after midnight probably 4 or 5 times a night so sleeping through the night is definitely not there yet but I keep it all quiet and calm in the early hours and generally he just needs his dummy a calming stroke- I don't get him out the moses basket unless its his 2am feed which he does still need!

I've found sometimes you have to let babies cry to establish routine (perhaps not while they're this little for too long) but with the 2nd its so much harder... my daughter is amazing though at sleeping through things I never feel she should! I dont know if your eldest is the same? Maybe try putting Erin down when shes really tired and don't get her out her cot but keep settling her until she falls asleep and then leave the room and gradually make your presence less and less over a week or so... I firmly believe its what works for you at the end of the day- how did you get your eldest into a routine? Maybe try the same strategy?

Fingers crossed for you... any hints on how to get mine through the night greatly received!!! X
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your replies ladies.

Emz1108 - we did bath bottle and bed with my eldest from about 8 weeks and although the first few weeks were rocky in terms of getting her to settle to sleep we eventually got there. We did leave her to cry a little at that stage but not for long. I've just been putting off doing that with Erin because I'm scared she'll wake Phoebe though to be honest Phoebe sleeps through quite a lot of noise at night.

I'm quite lucky in that Erin often sleeps through the night once she finally settles about 9pm. We're giving her a dream feed about 11.30pm though the amount she takes varies a lot.

I'm going to try and put her up in our room tomorrow night. Was going to try tonight but hubby is out and these things seem easier when two of you are there!
  • Options
    DD goes to bed at about half six as she ready for sleep then, she would just nap if we left her downstairs so we put her to bed upstairs after bath and feed, we acctually find she settles much better upstairs. my nursing chair is next to her crib to i put her down and just sit with her, if she crys i put my hand on her and she likes to hold it close, we have found she also like to hold a muslin cloth too x
  • Options
    No new advice, but just wanted to say that we've found the disturbance to MissG minimal, as she seems to sleep through MasterG crying. I think the babies will wake us up because we keep the responsibility in our heads while sleeping, but older LO's don't care if they're crying so just sleep through it. That's my theory anyway.

I also got advice from a friend to try and put MasterG to bed before MissG, so that any noisy self soothing sessions are done before MissG's bedtime. Lately we've been putting MasterG down after his bath and feed at about half seven, the MissG by 8pm. MissG goes right through the night, but we're nowhere close with MasterG yet. His self soothing leaves a bit to be desired right now too image

xx
  • Options
    Hi there, just catching up on all the posts.

Basically we try and give Jazmine a bottle between 7-8pm, then she pretty much goes straight in her sleeping bag and in her cot with her dummy and comforter. She generally sleeps from then until 2am (ish), has another bottle and straight back down till about 7am. This varies by about half an hour or so either way. I am looking forward to when she drops that early feed though!

Back along she had 4 nights where she slept solid for 9 hours!! Not anymore though. image

Still, can't complain, hubby and I are getting enough sleep, which always helps!

Zxx
  • Options
    Im a strong believer in routine. Phoebe has been in her own room from 6 weeks (she is 13 weeks tomorrow) and has been sleeping through from about 9 weeks!

I start bedtime at 6:45. she has a bath, pi's go on and then I give her a feed in darkness and silence. She goes down well and after about 15 mins of cooing she is silent and asleep by 8pm.

It has been lovely having my evenings with hubby to enjoy with a nice glass of wine!