Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

Will this become a problem?

Still exclusively BF MasterG and it's going well as far as I can tell.

We have a good routine going and he sleeps well at night and is mostly awake through the day with 2/3 naps.

I've been generally happy with the night time feeds as he goes back to sleep easily between them, but they are becoming more often.

We settle him for the night at about half seven, but then he wakes up about 4/5 time through the night. We start by offering him a dummy to settle him back and if that doesn't work I try feeding him. Most often, he will feed for about five minutes and pass out to sleep again, although he'll take a decent feed maybe once or twice through the night.

My concern is that these short feeds are not really feeds at all and just a comfort thing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to eliminate these as I feel like I'm creating work for myself in the future if he doesn't just settle himself back to sleep if he wakes in the night. Or even if it is just a drink he's wanting, will this continue?

Any advice or thoughts on the situation would be appreciated.

xx

Replies

• we went from 2 night feeds to 2 hourly feeds twice now, i think one of the times coencided with a big growth spurt and the last one 3 teeth! we have gone back to the two feeds inbetween so for me i'm just riding them out, its tough with a toddler too but i figure it wont last forever, DD will take a dummy sometimes but TBH its easier to feed her and put her back down that sit and sush her back to sleep, lazy mummy i am :lol:
  • Cheers!

I had considered that it might be a growth spurt - although it maybe started off like that, it might have developed into a pattern now image

I agree it's a much easier life to just feed and get the wee one back to sleep. I'm just scared that he'll always want cuddles in the middle of the night.

Glad I'm not alone image
  • we're in the same boat. I have been breast feeding with one evening bottle since week 1, he feeds every two hours at night and sometimes I think it is just to settle himself - sometimes he can go longer but not regularly.

We are now weaning him onto bottles so combine feeding at the mo, this hasn't had any impact on his night time sleeping. I am hoping to get him totally onto bottles by 6 months (although he loves breast feeding so much I know it is going to be tricky).

I have no idea how I will settle him at night once I've moved him totally onto bottles. It is so very easy to just latch him on to get him to sleep.

sounds very normal and like piggypops says - it won't be forever, time with our babies is so precious and they grow up so fast. I say, try to enjoy it, as much as possible with feeling shattered during the day!

xxx
  • Thankfully Phoebe is good at self soothing. From 6 weeks I have put her to bed with a dummy which now i can give her when she is due a nap. If dummy falls out she now sucks her fist or her index finger (she still hasn't found her thumb)
  • Cheers folks!

Last couple of nights have been better. We've put the monitor in MissG's room and closed the door so that the wee man doesn't disturb her. Then instead of giving him a feed (within a couple of hours), I've presisted with giving him a dummy until he goes back over. This has resulted in his feeds being a bit better as he's hungrier when he finally gets them rather than just grazing through the night.

Fingers crossed it keeps working.

xxx