Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

solids!!

Hello,

so finley tried his first foods over the past few days, he's had porridge, banana and pear - tomorrow we're going to try carrots!

He's only had a few teaspoons at lunchtime but seems to really enjoy his food and opens up his mouth, and plays about with the food on his tongue.

He was really crying when he was watching us eating, even if he'd just had his milk, so I offered him some banana and he was happy!

I am following the annabel carmel weaning timetable ish. It has some good ideas and advice.

Anyone else's little ones ready for food yet or are you all waiting for the magic 6 months? I had a chat with my HV and she agreed finley was showing all the signs of being ready, I'm not going to rush him into having lots, just going to follow annabel carmel's timetable.

hope you are all well and happy, xx

Replies

• Phoebe is 15 weeks and is awful with milk, but I tried (out of desperation really) her with a tiny bit of baby rice but she just spat it back out so I am guessing she is not ready. Im going to try again in a few weeks. As for the signs, she is watching us eat, waking up in the night for extra feeds (only getting two hours sleep in between feeds every three at the minute) and chewing on her hands constantly (which some HV's say means they are ready for food, some dont. The only thing she is not doing is taking large quantities of milk but I think that is because she just can not take the volume of fluid, but she is eating every few hours! Sounds like you are having lots of fun with food though! Is he settling better at night? x
  • Phoebe is doing well on her milk and still having good feeds from me but i don't think it will be long before i try her on solids. My plan is to wait until she is 20 weeks (3 weeks time) and then to introduce a baby porridge for breakfast ann start to replace the breast with bottle during the day. I feed her at the moment every 4 hours with a dream feed at night. I want to reduce the day feeds to formula leaving the breast for breakfast and bed.

She is showing some good signs that she is interested in food. She always sits with us when we eat our evening meal at the table and seems to love the smell of food. She too is constantly chewing her hands but I'm putting that down to teething.

I am really looking forward to the transition to solids image
  • we have started with a few tastes, although she enjoying it a few spoon is enough for now x
  • he's loving the food - I was only going to give a few teaspoons as a taster but he cries when I stop, after about an ice-cube full he then doesn't cry if I stop so I am guessing this is the amount he wants right now. I'm following his lead really, and he appears to be really enjoying it!

yes he is settling for longer at night, he was waking once or twice a night for a full 6oz feed, for the past three nights he's only woken once for a full 6oz feed and lats night he slept 6pm - 6am!!! Not sure that will last but fingers crossed it will, was heavenly!

he's napping now so I have taken the time to watch a bit of this morning and catch up on my emails. I love my wednesday morning when my DD is at nursery I get so much done! (does that make me a bad mummy? I also love picking her up at 1pm to go to our music group)

xx
  • Totally agree you've got to be led by them... My DS has been on rice for a couple of weeks and now adding an ice cube full of apple or pear- which he loves- sits there like a little birdy chick with his mouth wide open waiting for the next- makes me melt!! Also laughs his head off! I did love his face first time he tasted something other than rice- his eyes nearly popped out their sockets with excitement. All good fun. Roo- I too have used the Annabelle Karmell book (which I think you mention on the 'weaning' thread)as my bible with my DD and will with my DS- highly recommend it- she seems to know her stuff. Speak soon ladies- happy feeding! X
  • yeah Emz1108 that book is like my bible too, I read it as I get into bed to plan my next day - sad I know!!

he had butternut squash today! He wasn't as keen as he was with pear or banana but he did munch away! Now what for tomorrow... maybe butternut squash mixed with pear?

fun fun fun! xx
  • Wow, sounds like Finley is doing really well.

We were going to wait until the magical 6 months, but gave Jazzie some baby rice last week, just a few mouthfuls, which she loved.

However, she then became quite constipated, so we have held off the last few days. Not sure if it was the rice or the fact we have moved over to the Hungry Baby formula, or maybe a combination of both??

Not sure what to do, gave her cool boiled water, which helped and she is back to normal now. May try the rice again next week and see how we go.

Zxx
  • Z hungry baby is really bad for constipation. My HV advised against it and actually suggested trying mushed up rusk instead! Hubby bought the hungry baby milk by mistake a couple of weeks ago and we gave Phoebe 3 bottles (through the night because we had run out) and it was horrible. She strained but didnt pass anything until I sat and bathed her bottom with warm water and helped the poop out with cotton wool. This was the Hipps milk, my SIL has had no problems with Aptimil hungry milk xx