Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

Whats happened???

Phoebe has been sleeping through the night from approximately 10 weeks but now at the age of 17 weeks she has started to wake up between 4 and 4:30 am crying. She hasn't had a night feed for weeks but last night she was so hysterical I gave her the boob. She didn't take much before falling asleep again.

I feel like we are going backwards as all of the books state how most babies start sleeping through from 4 months. I really don't know what to do as our routine hasn't changed.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

:? :? :?

Replies

• Hi,

We havn't experienced this as DS hasn't slept through yet, but we wereb talking about this at baby group yesterday. The HV said its common for babies to start waking in the night again between 4-5 montyhs old. It's apparently a common misconception that this means your baby is ready to be weaned, but in reality it's just normal for babies to start waking again at this time when they previously slept through. Hope that helps.

I'm still waiting for the joy of him sleeping through!

x x
  • Thanx RS but wasn't what i wanted to hear lol. Did our HV say when they would go back to sleeping through???
  • We have had similar with Ella for the last few nights - same time for us as well - about 4pm! At first she was just gabbering away and then settling herself again to sleep, but now she is crying in the night and not settling.

I just go in and stroke her head (don't pick her up or put lights on) and put her mobile on which sends her to sleep again. We don't know why she is doing it - I was worried she was having a nightmare but Oh isn't convinced!

Ella is 17 weeks also - will let you know how she gets on - I am hoping it's just a phase as she has been such a great sleeper!

Equally perplexed! :? but you are not alone x
  • My Phoebe is 15 weeks and is waking an extra time during the night. My HV said it was due to a growth spurt and if she is hungry I should feed her x
  • Yes, I've had exactly the same thing! Trouble is as I never did anything in the first place to get my Phoebe (too many Phoebe's!) to sleep through I don't know what to do. Glad it's not just us x
  • we still havent had a sleep through yet but at 16 weeks theres a huge growth spurt and a huge developmental leap which for most babies means night wakings and extra feeds x
  • Sorry, the HV didn't say how longit would last for. I think Piggypops is right, it's linked to a growth spurt so hopefully will only last a week or so. x
  • As someone who can count on one hand the number of times my now 18 week old DS has slept through I feel your pain! Sure its a growth spurt- as your little ones have mastered sleeping through and know how to do it I'm sure it wont last long. My DS seems more settled since eating more solid food... not sure if coincidental but he only woke twice last night- yes thats a good night for us! X
  • yes olivia did that same and couple of times had to feed her few oz before she went back to sleep. slept through last night so fingers crossed....

Is your little one sleeping alot in day?
  • Well for the last few nights Phoebe has still been waking around the same sort of time but having rushed downstairs 2 nights ago to make a bottle (thinking a bottle would see her through better than boob) and by the time I got back upstairs she had settled herself back to sleep....

Last night she woke again but I left her and within 15 minutes she had settled herself hopefully she has cracked it.... again image

LinzLiv - she has a nap in the morning between 9 and 10 and then usually between 1pm and 3
  • This is really interesting to me with Matilda being a bit younger then your babies. She's 17 weeks now, and although she has never slept through we were in a routine of 2 night feeds always at around 1-2am and again between 4-5am. This week something has gone funny and we are suddenly up 4 times a night and she no longer wants to go back to sleep after - she wants to have a chat instead. I have to confess she has ended up in our bed on more than one occasion!

Hopefully, if it is to do with a growth spurt it won't last too long - I'd gotten used to sleep depravation but this is too much image