Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011

Weaning advice required

I know that this is a hot topic at the moment and just wanted bit of guidance/reassurance really.

Phoebe is 18 weeks now and Iam breast-feeding with a formula dream feed. My intention is to start weaning her off the breast when she hits 5 months (2 weeks eek). I intend to do this gradually by dropping the 11am feed for the first week followed by the 3pm feed the following week. At 22 weeks I intend to start introducing a baby rice/porridge for breakfast for a week and then at 23 weeks introduce lunch as well. Hopefully by 6 months she will be established on these meals and then start to introduce a tea time meal. Does this sound about right??????

Whats confusing me is do you also keep the bottle feeds as well or when do I drop them???

What are you doing and how old was your little one when you started to introduce solids???

Confused mummy . com :?

Replies

• i started weaning my ds at 21 weeks. we started with lunch for first 2 weeks - just simple baby rice to begin then moved on to basic veg puree after few days. he was only taking v small amount of solids so continued with full milk feeds for sometime. we then moved onto adding breakfast. ds had a bottle first thing, then an hour later was willing to give porridge a go...we just took it from there...u quickly get into the swing of it x
  • I have no experience of this really, but have a couple of books that were given to me about weaning and they both say that the main nutrition still comes from the milk and the weaning is more about learning to eat textures/flavours and letting the tummy learn to digest them properly.

Not sure how long you keep full feeds up for though!

Hope it goes well!