Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping advice please...

My dd is now 24 weeks old. She has always been swaddled to go to sleep but recently has started moving more and bursting out of her swaddle. In addition to the thin swaddle we cover her with her baby quilt, tucked underneath the mattress so that it can not be pulled over her head. The problem we are having at the minute is she is also kicking the covers off, getting cold and waking up. Last night we tried a grobag because she cant kick it off. However, she hated having her arms out. I had to hold them down to settle her to sleep, then when she woke (several times) in the night she wouldn't settle back to sleep and felt cold (not just on her hands, her head, nose, ears were cold too). In the end I used a thin blanket to cover her arms, but of course her movements meant that she didn't stay covered for long and woke back up again!! Does anyone know where I can get a long sleeved grobag from? Or does anyone have an alternative? Thanks in advance x

Replies

• hello,

have you tried extra long sleeved layers? we put our little boy in long sleeved vest, sleepsuit and a 2.5tog grobag then on cold nights he also gets a big cot fleece blanket tucked over him. His hands do always feel cold but as long as their chest is nice and snug they should be fine.

I don't know of any long sleeved grobags although if you google it you may find some??

I'm sure your little one will learn soon enough not to be swaddled and to get used to it.

We are having nightmares too with Finley waking between 11pm and 1am... no idea why... I don't think he feels cold, he's not hungry, he just wants cuddling back to sleep which is a bad habit I do not want him to get used to!!!!

I hope you find a solution soon enough if the extra layers idea doesn't work for you...

xxx
  • I have found an in-between grobag that has a grobag bottom and a swaddle top which I am going to try. The idea behind it is that it helps them to move on from swaddle to hands free slowly. Really hoping that works. She was definitely cold last night so tonight I am going to try using a swaddle blanket for her arms until the new thing arrives! Phoebe wakes between 12-1 and 3-4 for food, but last night she woke every hour! She is taking three good meals in the day but only about 14 oz of milk (including a 6oz bottle before bed) so still seems to want the milk feed in the night. I'm exhausted!
  • good luck with the swaddle bag, we have a growbag with sleeves from ebay, we are currently in a long sleeved vest with a fleece babygrow or quilted babygrow with a sleeping bag and mittens

do you make up her breakfast with formula as that will add to the oz in the day, do you dreamfeed or does she wake up naturally in the evening?

we have had a few bad nights after she went from 2-3 hourly feeds only a few weeks ago to 7 hour sleeps, her teeth are really playing up image
  • Yep always make the breakfast up with milk, she prefers it that way. She is also having the powdered dinners (not my choice - she hated my homemade and the jar food, although I mix veg in with the powder) and I make that up with milk too. So that is an extra 4oz a day of milk. We tried dream feeding but it seemed to disturb her more so we just let her wake up naturally. I think she is just going to be one of those babies that takes a while to catch up! x
  • Glitterbug I feel for you - we are in much the same boat here! x
  • Hiya! My sister knitted us a long sleeved growbag. It's a Peter Pan Wendy Darling pattern which you'd probably be able to get in Ebay. If you want it and can't find it, give me a shout and I can try and get a copy for you.

Hugs,

xx