Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Going from 5 feeds to 4 feeds...

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on in ages either. Having a two-year old and a 6-month old keeps me busy!

Erin has been on 3-hourly bottles of 210ml ever since she started sleeping through the night just so I could fit in the recommended amount of formula throughout the day. However, she never cries for milk so obviously doesn't need it that often. She's now having three meals a day and I was wondering if I should now drop a bottle and start giving them 4-hourly instead?

Sorry if this seems an obvious question. I don't want her to start waking through the night again! What do you ladies think?

Replies

• hello

we are still BF so i am not sure on the amount but we have just gone to 4 feeds after dropping the 10pm one, we do feeds at about 6,10,2 and 6

hth x

just wanted to add that her solid meals are porridge at 8am then a mashable meal (usually veg and meat) and pudding at 12 then a fingerfood meal and pudding at half 4
  • Hi

We are having the same dilema because Ella sleeps so well we feel like we are feeding her all of the time at the moment! Just trying to fit it all in.

We are bottle feeding and she was having 5 x 210ml bottles a day but since introducing solids our routine at the moment is:

8.00 - bottle as she might be dehydrated from nights sleep

10.30 - porridge made with her milk then she drinks what is left afterwards (well we try to get her to but doesn't always want the rest).

1.30pm - pouch of Ellas kitchen food with baby rice

4.00pm - bottle

6.30pm - bedime bottle

I spoke to HV on Tues about introducing a third meal and she said to drop the 4pm bottle and give food instead, but I am unsure at the moment as that will mean she is only getting 2 and 1/2 bottles a day - is this enough?

We have tried porridge and baby rice with her milk at 4pm and this works ok but she can't live on this forever! So not sure yet what we are going to do but she is doing well so far and is not waking in the night so can't be hungry....

Not sure if this helps you or just adds to the questions.... :lol: you certainly have your hands full with 2! x
  • Hi its very difficult isn't it.

Phoebe is 6 and half months now and was weaned on to bottles from breast from 5 months. She now has:

08:00 - weetabix with full fat cows milk followed by a 7oz bottle

12:00 - lunch (vegetables or scrambled egg and spaghetti hoops that kind of thing) followed by a pudding (banana or other fruit)

15:00 - 7oz bottle

17:00 - Tea (same sort of thing as lunch) followed by a pudding (banana and yoghurt or rice pudding)

19:00 - bed time bottle of 7oz

This seems to be working for us at the moment.
  • Thanks for your replies ladies.

We have now dropped a bottle and our routine (roughly) is:

7.30am : Fruit puree/Yoghurt followed by 210ml bottle

11.00am : 210ml bottle

2pm : Mixed vegetable puree

3pm : 210ml bottle

5pm : Different mixed vegetable puree

6.45pm : Weetabix with cows milk (recommended by hv to prevent Erin waking hungry through the night)

7pm : 210ml bottle then bed.

The timings seem a bit odd because I'm struggling to fit her feeds round her nap times - she still has three naps a day. Erin has been waking during the night but is not hungry so unless she cries a lot we just leave her and she soon drops back off.

What kind of amounts are your little ones eating? Erin is eating a LOT more than Phoebe did at this stage and has gone from around the 25th centile when she was born to the 75th centile! The hv wasn't worried but I don't want to overfeed her.

It can get quite complicated can't it?!

• I'm so confused about weaning... I don't know what amounts of food are normal etc... and I feel my hv are crap.

I haven't seen one since 8 weeks, although I have obviously taken Matilda to the nurse for jabs and I had her at the Dr for something else and he was happy with her.

I thought I should have been seen at 16 weeks but as we had moved house and under the new Dr I rang as they hadn't contacted me but when I spoke to hv she said they didn't need to see me? It sort of makes me feel like there isn't a lot of support here... I would have thought they would want to keep tabs on her weight etc as after she was born we were almost sent to paed over her weight loss!

I'm taking all my cues from books and websites! Our routine is not very routine... apart from meals at 8, 12.30 & 4.30 and then bed by 6.30. We then usually have 2 milk feeds in the night.