Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

White chocolate.......................

Both sets of grandparents bought Phoebe a white chocolate selection box for Christmas. I didn't think giving her chocolate was a very good idea at this stage but the grandmothers both keep asking me if she has had her first taste yet. She is 6 months, on finger food (she has been for the last two weeks after taking a piece of melon from my plate and chowing down before I even realised!! The HV said to go with her but not to give her anything with gluten until after 6 months.) So, am I being an over cautious mummy or are my instincts right? Its not like chocolate has any nutritional value. The grandparents and their 'we have been there, done that and know best' attitude makes it hard to defend myself against. They end up making me feel neurotic. Would love some opinions please xx

Replies

• Hey GB

Personally there is no way I would give Jazmine chocolate yet, probably until she is about a year old. She's not going to miss it as she has never tasted it! image

I would rather her fill up on fruit and veg, foods that are good for her.

I think its unfair of your grandmothers to dictate to you, its your baby girl and you must do what you think is right...

This is just my opinion....

PS sounds like she is doing fab with the finger food image

Zxx
  • Hi GB

Have to say I agree with Z, no way I'll be giving chocolate anytime soon.

A few weeks ago we went to our nephew's birthday party, and were told there wasn't a party bag for Matilda as they weren't sure if we had given her chocolate. I'm glad they hadn't done one as I am very picky about what foods she has and if there was any chocolate I would have eaten it on her behalf!

Grandmothers can be a bit like that - ignore them, you spend all that time with your baby so you know them better then anyone else and know what's right and wrong for her!
  • Thanks ladies, I don't really want to go down the junk food route yet but I am always being told I'm over cautious so its hard to know what to do for the best. I had a chat with my HV after the melon incident and she told me to start with the vegetable crisps and lightly toasted bread as first finger foods because they melt and are less of a choking hazard. I even worried about that because I want her to be healthy and didnt like the idea of giving her crisps. She loves them though, and they aren't really crisps, just popped corn and carrot. I think she prefers finger foods because she is a strong willed madam who likes to do things for herself! I'm kind of following the baby led weaning advice with finger foods, although I started weaning with purees so she is used to eating proper food. xx
  • Well I feel the same as you ladies but came home from work the other Saturday to find Ella with choc all round her mouth and a very pleased looking Daddy! Apparently she likes chocolate......

Couldn't be mad for laughing tho she looked so cute and pleased with herself! Hasn't had any since tho and I am in no rush to give her any more and she still loves the fruit purees and porridge. I guess a little bit every now and again doesn't do any harm....?

Good idea about the vegetable crisps tho I will give them a try as I also have a stubborn little lady who likes doing things for herself! :lol: xx
  • Phoebe loves her food and I have to admit that I have been giving her the chocolate petit feluis desert which she loves. (Its like a thick chocolate yoghurt)

Fingers foods are great and Phoebe loves her toast soldiers and bread in general. Today she had a round of wholemeal bread and jam for lunch and demolished the lot (I cut it into tiny bite sized pieces for her which she was able to pick up by her self!) The crisps are good and I highly recommend the Organix range as they do a few varieties of flavours and shapes.
  • Hello,

Do what you think is best and not what Grannies tell you to do.

MissG had her first taste of chocolate when she was 9 and a half months old and it was because it was New Years Day and we were all eating Chocolate. She's had a fair bit since though, but mostly since turning 1.

MasterG has, I'm slightly ashamed to say, already had his first taste, but it was such a tiny amount that I don't really count it. He just sucked a little bit off an animal biscuit before it fell on the floor!

Give it when YOU think the timing is right.

xxx
  • I think I am over cautious because of the awful experience we had with colic. She had trouble processing lactose so until we discovered Colief at 9 weeks she pretty much screamed all day and night. It was a living nightmare but worse than that, she was continually constipated and in agony. I'm terrified of introducing new foods in case she has a reaction and the screaming starts again! I know its daft, but I felt so useless back then and things are so lovely now, I just dont want to break her!!! x