Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Milk when weaning...

Copy & paste from my baby post!

Hi, some clueless first time mummy questions that I'll also be asking in BIJuly...

Matilda is 6 months next week, and we have been weaning on purees for quite a few weeks - poor thing was permanently starving.

My problem now is that I'm a bit baffled by the milks available. WE use Hipp Organic Hungry Milk at the minute (have done since about 3 months in an attempt to delay weaning). The box says she should be having 5 bottles a day, I would say she has about 6 most days plus water with her 3 (tiny) meals.

Should I be giving a follow on milk instead as I am introducing more foods and she will soon start to drop milk? I didn't know if there really is a huge difference between the milks? If I use follow on should I introduce it slowly so it's not a shock to her system?

Also, she still wakes twice in the night to be fed (I don't mind too much but hubby thinks she should sleep through by now - MIL I think puts this in his head) he thinks we should give the Hipp Goodnight milk a go, he says it has cereals in it so will stop her being hungry. Has anybody tried a night milk? Do they really make a difference?

Sorry for the clueless post, I found out loads about breastfeeding before she was born... but when I had to start using bottles found I didn't know very much! I don't want to change this unnecessarily and make life difficult for her image

Replies

• Hello!

MasterG is still being BF, so not giving him formula, but MissG was on formula from about 8wks to 1yr, so I can tell you what I did with her...

We used Aptamil stage 1 breastmilk susbstitute formula. We didn't change to any follow on milks when she turned 6 months, we just kept her on the same kind and she kept drinking it. As soon as she turned 1, we finished off the box that was open and went straight onto full fat cows milk. She didn't seem to notice any difference and drank the same volumes of milk at each feed.

Our HVs never promoted follow on milks or any hungry baby milks.

Hope that the sleeping through has got better since getting past the six month mark. MasterG is much better now he's on solids, albeit he's still feeding through the night - but not hourly like it was some nights before solids!!!

xx
  • with our eldest we used hungry baby and switched to follow on milk at 6 months, the hungry baby was too heavy which meant he didnt increase his intake of solids as he should, we did start weaing him at 17 weeks, also i think it is advised that you shouldnt mix the hungry baby with other types of formula?

have you tried increasing meals? she may well start to drop bottles if you offer more, although she will still need plenty of milk for a few months yet, if she doesnt want it she'll soon let you know image

jasmine is just over 7 months and is now eating porridge and toast for brekkie after a BF then a BF mid morning, then lunch and pudding, a BF mid afternnon, dinner and pudding then a bottle at bedtime, she has only in the last few weeks stopped feeding in the night, she still wakes as many babies do (even our 2 yr old) but will settle.