Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Noise!!

Hi Ladies

Just wondered if anyone else's little ones is having a problem with noise?

When Jazmine was a baby she had no problem whatsoever with the hoover. We used to hoover right next to her sometimes and she would remain asleep.

Now when we hoover she is terrified, pulls a right face and starts crying!! Very strange. One of us holds her while the other hoovers, but she really does not like it!

She has even been known to cry when one of us has coughed or sneezed loudly!! Why I wonder??

When she is fast asleep at night she is a deep sleeper and doesn't wake with a bit of noise. I spent the other night sorting through her wardrobe in her room and she didn't wake once!!

Anyone else experiencing the same??

Zxx

PS Had some good news today... our appt for her to go to Great Ormond Street re her birthmark has FINALLY come through for the beginning of April - YAY!! image

Replies

• great news about your appointment. April isn't too far away. I hope it goes well.

Noise wise, sorry no advice form me. Finley isn't bothered by loud noises - hoover, hair dryer, sneezing etc when he's awake. However he is a really light sleeper and just creeping past his cot wakes him up from naps/at night!!!

I thought with having a big sis he'd get used to napping with noise but no, any distractions and he's refusing to nap!

• Phoebe is quite jumpy and cries at unexpected noise, but I tend to smile and say 'Ha Ha' and she then starts laughing again. She is fine with most noises but doesn't like the hand blender. Sorry no advice, just thought id share xx
  • Sorry Gatecrashing the thread image from DIJune.

Regarding the noise, all I would say is that she is probably more aware of noises now that she is older and probably now questioning what the noises are.

The only advice I would give is carry on as normal. Dont be creeping about around her. As this makes them more upset when there is a loud noise. I would even go as far as suggesting not picking her up when your hoovering. As you don't want her as she gets older climbing up your arm when something scares her. image

My son whenever he didnt like something I use to smile, clap my hands and say "Yaaaayyy" and for some reason this use to calm him. (OK you may look nuts but hey if it works it works image )
  • Hi, I'm g/c but saw this on the home page. My son was exactly the same from around 6 months old. He would cry if I used the hairdryer, the Hoover, the hand mixer, food processor and then also if we coughed, sneezed or blew our noses. He would cry if other children cried or were noisy around him. It got to the point where he was terrified when I used the Hoover, he would cry histerically. So I stopped doing things like this when he was there. He did grow out of it but it took about a year!!! He is two now and not bothered about noise at all. I would try and carry on as normal like heffalump suggests but if not then I'm sure your little one will grow out of it like my son did.
  • Matilda has started to be a bit more bothered about noises like the hoover and hairdryer, but she's not too bad really - if I talk to her while doing it then she settles.

She doesn't like things that are louder like food processor etc - so I do all that when she's in bed. We have been doing some decorating and she cries when hubby uses the drill.... and then this week we had a new front door fitted and they had some sort of massive drill for going into the bricks and it made her hysterical but I was home alone so couldn't take her out away from it I felt sooo bad!
  • wer had this with our eldest at first the hoover would send him to sleep then as he got older it terrifeid him, it wasnt till he was about 14 months he stopped being bothered by it, i think its just them beoming more aware, i usually hoover when jasmines in bed x