Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in July 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Drinks & Cups

Me again! :roll:

Just a question about when baby should be drinking from a cup (ie two handled one etc). A friend of ours, her little one who is roughly the same age as Jazzie drinks really well from a two handled cup. We have tried her with one, with water in it, and she doesn't like it. I have since read about a soft spouted one, the one we had was a hard spout? I guess it would make a difference?? What are you ladies using/trying??

Also, Jazmine just will not hold her bottle, no matter how much I try and wrap her hands around it. She's lazy!! Is this really a problem do you think? I guess in time she will? Especially if she is hungry enough!!

She has four bottles a day, 8am, 12 noon, 4pm and around 6.30pm (plus 3 small meals) - then sleeps through till 7.30am or a bit later if we are lucky!!

Should she be having water as well do you think? Or maybe the baby juice you can get? Its all soo confusing!!! Aghhhh

Zxx

Replies

• I think you should start giving baby a cup from 6 months old. just water is best I think with each meal. My first daughter didnt like a hard spout but was happy with a soft spout. She rarely held her own bottle but would hold a cup ok. X
  • we offer finley a cup of water with each meal, a two handled hard spouted one. He does not like it much but has a few sips, he doesn't hold it although we have given it to hi on his high chair to play with and he managed to get it in his mouth once...

it'll come with time. My DD took about 11 months to get the hang of wanting a drink with her meals!

She also never really bothered holding her bottle, she was a bit lazy too I think. Finley is showing no signs watsoever of wanting to hold his bottle!
  • Phoebe has a soft spouted cup but she doesnt like it. I give her water in it, and sometimes watered down orange juice (on the advice of my HV as she gets constipated)> However, I must admit I still give her water from a bottle because at the moment I feel like it is more important for her to drink fluids to avoid the constipation. She has, once or twice, drank water from a plastic cup that I have held without a spout or anything which she liked. xx
  • I raised this with my HV as Phoebe just won't take water from a spout. Her advise was not to worry as because she is on 21oz of formula a day (3x7oz) and she will be getting enough fluid from this and also from fruit and veg.....

I have however purchased a doidy cup which Phoebe seems to like as she golds the angled side to her mouth and slurps at the water (don't get me worng most of it ends up down her front :lol: )

You can get them brand new from ebay for about ??4 well worth getting one!
  • Matilda uses a Tommee Tippee two handled soft spouted cup - we tried a hard spout first but she wouldn't even try.

She drinks from the soft one herself (just water) but does seem to spit a lot of it back out.

I saw those doidy cups Shelley mentioned in a baby magazine while pregnant and thought I'd get one but wasn't sure she'd use it yet - might get one and try it now though!
  • jasmine is still BF but we offer water at each meal in a plain tommee tippe hard spout handles cup which she manages well, her brother hated these and only took to the soft spout cups. with jacob we also had to add some cow and gate cordial as he hated water, its good to get them to try as the bottles will eventually be replaced with a drinks and snack x
  • Some babies take to drinkning really well and others don't.

MissG was 16 months before she would hold a bottle herself, and still didn't really take on much fluid other than milk at that stage. I am so close to having one of every type of cup on the market because I was convinced she didn't like the cups, so kept trying new ones. Don't make this mistake!! It makes no difference! She now drinks like a fish and doesn't care what kind of cup I give her.

If they get enought milk, they might not care too much for other fluids. But of course some babies will drink anything offered to them.

My wee man is much better with his water cup than MissG ever was at this age!!

xx
  • ben wont take a beaker of any kind so has watered down fresh orange (he hates water) with his meals in a bottle. He will sip from a cup though so think he will be one to go from a bottle to a cup. im of the opinion as long as they are getting enough fluid thats the main thing, everything else will come with time and age. xxx
  • we have just started in a straw beaker, she stole her brothers cup and got on really well with it so i got her one of her own, nuby was on offer in boots! she loves it and its much less messy!

how are you getting on?
  • Hi I give my 10 month old baby juice she just refuses to drink water full stop,I'm sorry I ever introduced baby juice to her now I have tried to dilute it but she's having non of it also at what age do you stop boiling and cooling the water before they drink it image
  • you can stop using cooled boiled water from 6 months x