Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Those with other children- do they know?

My DD was 2 at the end of July. I have told her there is a baby in mummy's tummy, and sometimes when I say to her "where's the baby?" she will point at my tummy- so cute! x

Replies

• My DD is only 15 months and I dont think she'd understand. We talk about it in front of her but I havent "told her". I did buy her a doll for her birthday though, and she loves her "baby" image x
  • We have told our son (18months) and he will stroke my tummy and say "assess" if we ask him where the baby is but I am sure he has no idea what it actually means.
  • I have said some things to my 3 1/2 year old like when she cuddles up to me or elbows me while postioning herself for snuggles, I say be careful there is a baby in mummy's tummy. I mave been waiting for her to say something but she hasnt. I havent told my 10 year old, but I think my soon to be 13yr old knows, he asked me the other day if I was pregnant. me and OH were talking about paintball at the time and I jut said what has paintball got with me being pregnant.. he said oh I thought u were talking about being pregnant!!

but I knw he not stupid.. a couple weeks I joined a new dentist and put on my form that I was 6 weeks and sshhh.. so i am sitting in the chair and the dentist says right Lisa we are going to xray you, the assistant gives her a nudge and then the dentist says oh no sorry we are not going to xray you today. Then as we leave she says when are you due lisa?

I coulda punched her!! I hadnt got half way down the steps when Alfie said mum why couldnt you have the xray. I just said I dont know maybe it was busy when she wanted to use it!!

Its my eldest 13th birthday this weekend and I was meant to be playing painball, but OH has asked me not to play! so i have said I am not playing to save money, but think he does know!!

I dont plan on telling them til after the scan, although I feel a bit bad as I know they would like to come to the scan with us..

• I've mentioned it around my 18 month old but she doesn't understand but we're keeping schtum around our 4 1/2 year old as she'd be telling everyone - my in laws in the first instance as we're pretty sure my MIL taps her up for info about various things (when DD2 was on her way, we'd discussed names with DD1 (then 3) but hadn't decided and after DD2 was born and named, MIL said "I thought that was the name as J told me!"). Anyway, we want to tell our parents not have them hear it from DD1 so we're watching what we say for now. Although I did have a conversation with her at the weekend about would she ever like another brother or sister and she promptly told my neighbour that when she had a baby it was going to be called Duchess!!!!!
  • We have told DD, she's really excited about it. She has been asking for another baby brother/sister for a while, so it wasn't a shock to her. Wish I hadn't told her quite so soon though, when I picked her up from school yesterday she asked if the baby was here yet!
  • I've said it a few times to my dd, things like "Who's going to be a big sister?" but she's not quite 18 months old and I don't think she understands at all! But hopefully by the time the new baby is here she'll have more understanding. I'm playing a lot more with dollies with her to try to help her understand xx
  • I've told Amber there's a baby in Mummy's tummy and asked her if she likes babies - she seems excited and says she would like a baby to live with us. She's 2 at the end of November so probably doesn't understand much but by the time baby is due Im sure she will understand! xxx