Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ice skating- would you?

Every year my girlies and I have a Christmas party, Last year we had booked skating but were snowed off. The plan is the same again this year- I'll be coming up to 12 weeks PG

Woud you do it? x

Replies

• Options
    I think as long as you're sensible you'll be fine!! Baby is still so tiny and low down then and nicely cushioned both by amniotic fluid and by you at that stage I dont think it'd be a problem- probs stay away from speed skating lol!! However if you've never been skating before and you're likely to fall over numerous times I might have a rethink lol x
  • Options
    I would b careful u may suffer from dizzy spells and light headiness I did and this can cause fainting and fainting on ice can't b comfortable! Us all ur muscles and ligaments arendt prone to injury when pregnant! Baba should b fine but u might not b chick.xxx
  • Options
    G/C but it's a bit of a gamble. You need to keep hydrated whilst pregnant and even more so whilst undertaking any sport. Lack of hydration will see you very light-headed, your vision going and you passing out. Again if you fall awkwardly you could do yourself unnecessary harm (though ironically baby wouldn't fair too bad, it's 13wks onwards they start giving anti-d to rhesus neg mums who trip/fall). Generally advice with any exercise, if you do it regularly your body will cope whilst pregnant, if it's new to you you'll place the double stress of using your muscles in a new way whilst carrying a baby.
  • Options
    Hmm, I'm undecided. I'll be telling the girls before then, but they want to book soon so when I change my mind about going they will be suspicious

I'm confident in my own abilities, can't do any of the fancy stuff but I tend to be better than my friends on the ice

I'm happy that if I begin to feel a bit unwell I can just sit out too

I guess it's just other people I will be worrying about x
  • Options
    I'm in a similar predicament for skiing!

I'm not a skier (although I've been before) but as some of you know I'm surprising hubby with a Vegas trip for his 30th the week before xmas and we're doing a day skiing in the mountains as the resort is only an hour from the strip.

Hubby has never skied but always wanted to go and us having a day trip is a much better way to do it than going on a skiing holiday.

Another couple are coming with us (also a surprise for him).

So I've decided to just stick to the bottom nursery slope, snow ball fight and take lots of pics of everyone else and have a long lunch!

My other surprise for everyone on his actual birthday is going to a gun range as we've been to vegas lots before but never done this.

Again I'm now not going to do this but am happy to save the money and take photos!
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't ice skate or ski as it's just not worth the risk of a nasty fall. This is the first pg that I've actually not had to miss anything using woolly excuses in the first trimester though. With DD1 I was booked to go go-karting at 8 weeks and had to say I had a bad back then at 13 weeks (but before my scan) my friend had planned a suprise trip to Lightwater Valley for me and I couldn't go on anything so I had to tell her the real reason. With DD2 same friend and I had planned a return visit to LWV but I was only 6 weeks so wasn't ready to tell. Luckily we took 2 year old DD1 and couldn't go on anything risky anyway as she was with us so it wasn't too bad!
  • Options
    I agree with the above two ladies. I personally wouldn't even consider it, it's not worth taking the risk as far as I'm concerned. I'd just think all the time that if I fell and something happened I'd never forgive myself

xxx