Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

12 week scan - tests or no tests??

Hey ladies,

With some of us coming up to 12 week scan time I was just wondering if you were going for all the available tests, some or none at all?

I've been worrying like mad about baby still being there and being ok and hadn't really thought about nuchal tests etc until this weekend - And am now massively stressed about them too!

Just after peoples thoughts and opinions really.

Thanks x

Replies

• I think I will as I'm a worrier so would rather know than spend the next few months worrying!
  • Im having any tests on offer, personally i would rather know. Except for the sex, i want a surprise this time but hubby insists we find out grrr!
  • I'm having all the non invasive tests without a doubt. The downs test also tests for a number of other chromosone deformitites where the child wouldnt live outside the womb so I would need to be prepared for all eventualities. I wouldnt terminate if it was downs but would want to be aware- after the birth you are all over the place as it is to throw an extra unknown into the mix would be a lot to deal with x
  • Yes, definitely having the tests. Had them with DS and was pleased I did
  • I have a friend who had an Edwards pregnancy and know what she went through so would defo rather find out sooner rather than later. It would just be too earth shattering once you have your hopes up.
  • I wont be having them had none with my DS and just would not want to know , if it showed a risk i would not have the CVS or amnio as the risk of miscarriage worries me so i dont want to worry myself for 6 months when everything may be fine

im a bury my head in the sand kind of girl ..
  • Its things like edwards that worry me. I'd hate togive birth and then lose the baby so quickly x
  • I'm having all the tests. Heartbreaking as it would be to discover a problem I would rather know so that we could be aware of all options. I would also definitely have an amniotic/cvs for the same reason. I don't know what we would do if a problem was detected however it would be something we'd have to consider carefully as it's not just about how me and DH would cope but also how it would affect our 2 DDs.

A fried of mine has gone through a medical termination this week after her NT scan showed that the baby couldn't survive and I wouldn't wish that on anyone and it's definitely left me feeling incredibly nervous about our scan.

Just want to get it all over with now.
  • That's awful feebs.

At my scan last week the sonographer said the NT scan they did doesn't check for Edwards just Downs but did say she found an Edwards at a 20week scan recently.. Did your friend have an Nhs NT scan or a private one? I think the private ones calculate more. It is v.worrying, although my scan appeared fine, it doesn't mean I won't still be informed I'm hi risk, will have to await the results. Hope your friend is ok.