Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When do we stop taking folic acid?

Hey all,

Not that it bothers me taking it - I know some of you have found it troublesome but I just wondered when we're supposed to stop taking it, I thought it was around the 12 week mark?

thanks

xxx

Replies

• I'm gonna finish the bottle- will probs take me to 14 weeks but it wont get used again and wont hurt x
  • I stopped at 12 weeks but midwife advised me to take NHS healthy start vitamins through to breast feeding as they contain the right amount of vit d which most people are low in, esp up here when we don't see the sun very often! Think they are a Scottish thing though. They contain 400mcg of folic acid and vitamin c also so think i'l keep taking. They only cost ??1.25 a bottle so much cheaper than proprietary products!
  • I'm taking pregnacare which contain folic acid and you take these all through and continue when bf. Would rather make sure I'm having vital vitamins x
  • My midwife actually recommended that I stop taking the multi vit once I got to 12 weeks as I should have a balanced diet and the folic acid is no longer required but I'm less confident about the "balanced" nature of my diet, esp with pg cravings and so, as it does no harm have taken the sanatogen mum to be multivit throughout all of my pgs and whilst breastfeeding. x
  • I will stop after my scan, but I might consider a multi vit after that x
  • I take pregnacare too and will continue that till I stop breastfeeding again hopefully. Not been eating very well as most foods just seem repulsive so at least I know I'm getting what I need for baby.