Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012

Anyone else had a pre scan panic???

My scan is this Friday but I don;t know what's come over me today but I'm feeling on the verge of tears about the fact that I'm going to go to my scan and there won't be a heartbeat. I am *trying* to tell myself that it's just pre-scan nerves and not mothers intuition but I am feeling so freaked out right now.

It is just nerves isn't it??? Tell me the rest of you felt like this before your scans???

xxx

Replies

• Feel exactly the same hun & I have already had a scan last week as I started spotting but saw baby & heartbeat. Have another on tues but i'm still nervous.

I think it's natural to be worried especially if it's planned & it's taken a while to get that positive result.

Let us know how you get on. xx
  • I know it's just paranoia. Partly because, although we were trying, I got my BFP after literally one go which seemed almost too easy after taking 7 months TTC DD2, then there's my paranoia that I've had 2 easy preganancies and 2 healthy babies so surely it's my turn for something to go wrong, then there's the fact that one of my best friends had to have her pg terminated 2 weeks ago after problems detected at her 12 week scan, and partly because I don't really seem to have any pg symptoms any more.

I know it is all just worries when I think about it logically but I can't shake this feeling of aprehension...

Glad you got to see your bubs early though Lounmark image

xxx
  • Definitely. When I had my early scan last Friday I had been absolutely convinced that the baby was dead, and that I intuitively knew. Then I was trying to tell myself that I didn't know at all, it was other reasons I was scared and nothing to do with intuition at all

At the moment I'm really looking forward to my 12 week scan, but I reckon nearer the time I'll be bricking it again. I'm hoping that I will be more relaxed as I saw the baby last week and all was okay so my risk factor is way down now

It's funny isn't it, when you see some women at their scans they look so relaxed and you wonder don't they worry the same as you? I actually think some people don't though. It's the mentality that "it won't happen to me". I don't have that because it has happened to me

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, but I'm equally sure that me saying that won't help you at all- when is your scan? x
  • It's so horrible waiting. I had a mc at 8 wks 3 years ago but it didn't happen naturally, I started spotting & found uot I'd lost it & had to have a d&c.

I've been desperate to get pregnant this time but when I started spotting again last week I thought the same was happening again but all was fine. I'm still worried coz i'm still spotting but it's just one of them things that I don't think we'll stop worrying about until we have our little baby in our arms.

Also on the preg symptoms, I had them early on but mostly they disappeared after a few weeks, the midwife said it can just be in your head that you are having them, you look for signs because you are pregnant.

Fingers crossed for you on friday. Let us know how it goes. xx
  • G/C but I went to the hospital when I was 7 weeks pregnant convinced my pregnancy was ectopic due to really bad pain in my ovary. On the drive to the hospital I imagined having to tell my family and was convinced I had bad news coming. I also felt like I 'knew'. It turned out to be a large pocket of trapped bowel gas pushing on my ovary - my baby was fine! She is now a happy and healthy 18 week old. It is normal to freak out and panic when you love something so much. Good luck with your scan xx
  • OMG!! im terrified and my scan is still a week away. Im scared there will be no HB and dread telling family. I thought it was just me image wish this paranoia would go away and i could get excited image

Hope ur scan goes well on friday feebs. cant wait to see pics image

xx
  • I was exactly the same even after having a scan at 7 weeks and all being fine.

I hadn't told anyone I was pg except hubby obviously as I couldn't face telling people it had gone wrong. I had a mc last year and haven't td anyone about that either. Just don't want their pitty I guess.

Anyway, baby was fine, scan was amazing!

Now 14 weeks and have no symptoms except slightly sore boobs so I don't feel pg at all just now! Can't wait for a big bump and getting kicked all the time so I know all is well!!

Try to relax (I know it's not easy) and all will be well and you'll see your wee bub soon! x
  • Yup, I had a dream a few nights before mine that there was no heartbeat. On the day itself I was in tears in the waiting room worrying about it but all was fine. Try not to worry! X
  • I feel the same too. I've got my scan also tomorrow.

I had a MC before my DD, so it's always a possibility in my eyes. My hubby asked me earlier if I was excited for tomorrow because he is, but I told him I was a bit nervous. I know the odds of having a miscarriage after having a successful birth are very low. I'm sure everything will be fine though as i've had very strong symtoms this time

x x
  • i was exactly the same too and was trying to remember if i felt the same be4fore scan with DS , was convinced i didnt and that meant i knew something .. friend pointed out i was a million times worse with jake lol

all was fine though and that feeling of relief was immense when they said theres 1 live baby

have to say though had the same panics about the 16 week check and that something will happen in between but def remember being like this last time , then when they start moving you worry when they go quiet .. think its just the norm from now on in to worry about them

GOOD LUCK FOR TODAY

xxx
  • Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit more positive today although still really nervous but it helps to know I'm not the only one. I do remember feeling worried before every scan/check last time too just not before the 12 week one but m sure I did! Until you're holding your healthy baby in your arms there's always a worr about "what if" I guess...

Anyway will update his afternoon! My scan is at 10.40 image

Good luck to yountoo BS mummy!!

Xxx
  • Had my scan and there was one lovely little baby (not 2 phew!) with a little heartbeat image

My EDD was only out by one day too so I'm now due on 23 rd June.

Baby wouldn't cooperate for the NT scan so I have to go back for that on the 19th so can't completely relax however I feel soooooo much calmer than I did the other day. It's really real!!!
  • Feebs glad ur scan went well and baby has a little heartbeat image Mine is wed at 8am and im terrified there wont be one image really need to relax :roll:

xx
  • It is so stressful now it's close isn't it? I felt so bad up until this morning, then it wasn't too bad knowing itwould be over with soon.

I did find it reassuring to know that we all feel the same panic and intuition is bollocks!
  • Oooooh I wrote a mild expletive and it got edited!!!
  • Ooh what was it? Tell us with the first and last letters and then asterixes! x
  • Just b*****s! I don't even class it as a swear word lol!
  • hi, i didnt even class myself as pg really until the first scan. it was my way of blocking out the fear. Miscarriage is common in 1st babies and all of us know someone who'se had that awful moment at a scan - so i tried to tell myself to be matter of fact about it, that it is usually down to nature deciding something isnt right, etc, and that i got pregnant easily so hopefully could do so again.

In reality of course, im sure id have been devastated. I had to put my scan off for a week despite really not wanting to (but couldnt get out of work, and due to my attitude mentioned above, didnt want to tell my employer). Then when i had the scan i was 14 weeks - so a week on to what i thought - so not only was i keeping one live baby warm but was also in the 2nd trimester!! then i believed it and allowed myself to be happy and tell everyone.

i never had a bump till mid 20 weeks and never had symptoms at all, not even tiredness. At the end he was crushing my bladder and making me uncomfortable, but i think that was down to his size!

I had a beautiful, healthy 8lb 13 oz boy 3 days after my due date (despite looking small and measuring under all the way through, with no pregnancy symptoms, lol).

Glad it all went ok for you, have a wonderful pregnancy x
  • newmrshunter, my scan is Wednesday at 8.15, so glad its early in the morning, there is no way I could cope otherwise. Even though I had a scan at 5 weeks and 7+4 weeks and saw heartbeat etc, i'm still dreading it and will feel so much better once I know I am into the second trimester and everything seems ok so far.
  • alfie222 you sound exactly like i was with my first baby , no symptoms at all , wasnt very big and never found being pregnant that difficult , could sleep easily no probs etc , i am quite tall though so i think that helped

i was told my little one might be on the small side and he was 8 lb 13 oz and came a day early

have been warned to expect an even bigger baby this time .. hopefully i wont go overdue lol

again i have been very lucky (so far ) with no real symptoms and no sickness etc , have been no more tired than i always am with 1 year old running around . havent got a bump or anything yet (although i am still carrying lots of weight from gfirst baby so prob wouldnt notice ) so hoping im lucky and dont get huge again xxx