Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012

What are you having for your Christmas starter?

My family are mega fussy, I don't think I can actually put into words how fussy they are. I consider myself quite unfussy in comparison, but I won't eat mushrooms and eggs

So what my mum always used to do was do prawn cocktail for me and my sister (no sauce for the sis), prawns in avocado for her and my nan, and my other sister, brother and dad would have a glass of orange juice

Eventually she got annoyed with doing all different bits, so a couple of years back did brie and cranberry parcels and we had to like it or lump it. Then last year she did no starter at all, we just went traight to main. I get the feeling that is what is going to happen this year, unless I can think of anything that 1) I can eat in pregnancy, and 2) my fussy family will eat

So what are you having? Give me inspiration! x

Replies

• GC from DIF! I'm not fussed on starters usually but if we go out and and everyone else has one ect I'll opt for either melon or soup. Both safe in pregnancy and not much to dislike about either image x
  • I'd have always had either prawn cocktail or pate.... Not having either this Yr image prawns are cooked though so are they not ok to have?
  • I love crayfish cocktail yummy. how about buffallo tomatoes and mozarella or halloumi ? x
  • Yeah prawns are fine if cooked through image
  • We always have prawn cocktail and I'll have that this year too as I think it's ok in pg. I had one when I was pg at Christmas 2 years ago anyway!

Other ideas though could be soup (which is what I end up making for my fussy FIL), smoked salmon is also ok in pg and feels a bit more special, or maybe some form of baked/ deep fried cheese with a nice chutney if you can think of one that will melt nicely and isn't Brie or camembert! Maybe something like emmental or grueyer? I think they're both safe! Actually I'm sure Brie or camembert would be ok deep fried as you'd kill off any nasties...?
  • It's a minefield, conflicting information everywhere!

Had a thought about little filo pastry squares with some sort of topping and a salad garnish. But what toppings?

mozzarella and tomato

mozzarella and bacon

mozzarella and mushrooms

What can you do without cheese??

xx
  • oooh Kimmy my hubby makes lovely bruchetta with a tomato salsa- yummy!!
  • Just read this thread and it's made me so hungry!!

We usually have prawns, melon and smoked salmon! Yummy! But since we're abroad this year I've no idea what we'll have.

I love brie!! I read somewhere as long as it's piping hot it's ok when pg so maybe parcels wod be ok?

I love the sound of filo pastry and a filling. I've made them before with bacon and cheese which is yummy. Soup is good but I find it really filling and can't eat much after!
  • oooh Kimmy my hubby makes lovely bruchetta with a tomato salsa- yummy!!

I love bruschetta- the Pizza Express one is amazing! x
  • Well my mum has decided.....not to do starters- boo!!

However, it does mean that I will eat more main which I tend to just pick at, so that's good

Thanks for all the suggestions xx