Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012

Doppler advice please.... I'm going mad :(

Hi ladies

I have a hi baby Doppler used it with my last baby but not any of the others, anyway had my scan a week ago all went well and since I have tried and tried to find heatbeat and I can't image no matter where I put the probe I just get my own heartbeat and the windy noise from the placenta?? I'm now 14 weeks and 4 do you think something is wrong or could my placenta be in the way I am so worried now I wish I hadn't even bothered trying

Any advice greatly appreciated

Have a good evening x

Replies

• I think 14 weeks is quite early for a home Doppler. Don't be getting too frustrated just yet! The advice that was posted on NewMrsHunter's thread was to try very low, along the hairline, and just to the side of centre. She was able to find hers after trying that so hopefully it works for you xx
  • I saw my midwife today and she REALLY struggled to find the heartbeat. All we kept getting was the placenta noises and me. She asked if I had felt any movement (which I havent) and said that it could be my placenta is lying at the front.

She did eventually get babies heartbeat but it was hard to hear and way in the background.

14 weeks is also quite early for a home dopppler. I have a home one as well and it does take me a very long time to fond anything. I have to go right on the hair line and then angle it so that it faces down and it is very hard to hear.

In short try not to worry. Easier said than done though I know.
  • Thanks ladies, think I will leave it a week or so now before trying again

Thanks again xx
  • I had my 16wk appointment today and it took a while to find it but then it was very strong. I asked the MW about a doppler and she said obviously they are trained to know where to feel to try it and it would be hard for anyone doing it themselves to do the same at an earlier stage and would just stress yourself out if you couldn't find it. She said it's great later on but that she wouldn't bother at this stage.
  • I didn't get one last time as I was concerned it would stress me out and I'm glad I didn't. I heard the baby HB at my last consultant appt and that's enough for me!

Also, there was extra concern expressed recently about home usage of them - a lady was concerned that she hadn't felt much movement so got out her Doppler to check the heartbeat and found it - she decided it sounded fine so did not go to hospital or contact her Midwife. A while later she realised that baby was still not moving normally so went to hospital where it was found that baby was severely distressed. He was delivered safely but it would have been much better had she contacted hospital when she was first concerned.
  • Hi ladies thanks for the response, it has made me feel better...

Littlewulf good point I am on the very large side (not tubby)

Flissie oh my, makes me feel I may not use it again!! How awful glad baby was delivered safe image

Thanks again girls, hope you all have a good new year SOBER image) xxx
  • with DD I didnt find HB til after 18 weeks (might have been nearer 20) I felt a lot of movement before I successfully located the hb x