Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

really dont know what to do , help ladies

Sorry for the odd post and i dont usually share emotional stuff on here but i dont really want to talk to any of my friends about this

things have always been up and down with hubby he struggles with anxiety and bouts of stress which turn to losing his temper , he is not violent or agressive he just gets mad and shouts (usually very horrible things) , all in all though we have always been happy and the good outweighs the bad ..

anyway at the danger of rambling we struggled on the decision about ttc second time and hubby wasnt sure but in the end we just went for it .. on boxing day we had a row as hubby's anxiety seems to be back and he ended up shouting at me he doesnt want this baby and i was the one who pressured him into it which really hurt me as i am now left wondering if he means this ,

he later apologised and said he was just trying to hurt me and he is happy but i really am not sure now , he seems happy sometimes about the baby but he is no where near as excited about this baby as the last , he doesnt want to talk about names or buying things or preparing for the baby feel like im excited all on my own ... i am no so worried that he doesnt want the baby and doesnt want to tell me this but think i am so scared of having the debate

not sure anyone can help but just needed to get this off my chest , feel so down at what should be such a happy time for us all xx

Replies

• Oh ML thats awful your feeling like that.

People say the worst things in the heat of an argument and it's really hard to forget them once they've been said.

I think as much as u don't want to that you need to sit down with hubby and talk things through.

He's probably thinking of another baby in terms of the negative like; the sleepless nights, more money, more potential stress etc and if he's a worrier this will be in the forefront of his mind and the excitement will get pushed to the back.

Talk to him and explain that u understand his fears and u have them too but are trying to focus on the positive and exciting times ahead. Let him know u are there to support him.

Hope it gets sorted soon x x
  • Sorry to hear that MummyLintern. I'm sure we all say thing sometimes that we don't really mean or they come out wrong at the time and hurt someone's feelings.

My hubby is very much a worrier too. Even when we were TTC he would panic about money etc.

With our son he was a lot more into the whole "baby-thing" whereas this time he doesn't seem as enthusiastic. I guess, he been there, done that... and then I suppose guys find it harder to get attach to something they cannot see or feel or anything.

Hope they will come round soon. And fingers crossed your hubby won't get so anxious again.

It IS an exciting time - Very much so!

• Aw hun, hubby and I have explosive rows and often things get said in the heat of the moment that arent truly meant. I think sometimes men find it hard to get excited til they see and feel more tangible things. Hubby was.more broody than me both times but still not into the prep,like I am . Hope it all works out, I'm sure he's mortified he said that xxx
  • thanks ladies i think your right , i am going to try and have a chat with hubby this evening but we had a brief chat this morning and he says he really didnt mean it and he is happy its just hard to concentrate on something he hasn't even met yet when we have a lovely little boy here and now , and he does concentrate on the negative so is worried about money , how the new baby will change the 3 of us etc all the normal things .. thanks again ladies going to try and move on xxx
  • I'm sure he was just trying to be mean in the heatof a row. My DH was reluctant about TTCing number2 and although in the end as it took 7 months he had completely come around to the idea he was never into the preparation and planning. In fact with both girls I ended up doing all the furniture assembly at 7 or 8 months pregnant by myself as I got fed up of trying to get him to do it. I am still always envious of people who's husbands are happy to plan what to buy and 'road test' prams and do the manly DIY jobs in the nursery. I know this time I'll have to push him to get the nursery decorated and organised.

He has told me that he found it harder to bond with both babies beforebthey were born as it just wasn't real to him til he saw them, which I think a lotmof men feel as they don't have that connection we donof feeling the flutters and kicks etc. He also didn't bond immediately with dd2 as she was so needy to me in the early days and dd1 was there needing him and able to interact with him, whichnsounds a little how your DH is feeling now? It did only last for a really short time though and once he got to know dd2 as her own little person he fell as in love with her as Dd1.

Don't worry, your DH will be anxious and stressed if he's that way inclined but that won't affect hownhe feels aboutbhis new son or daughter when they get her.

Xx
  • oh bless ya chick, I know what you are going thru. I am with a new partner, have bin with him 2yrs this March and this is our 1st baby together and it happened very very quickley, lets just say I concieved the first time of having sex after coming off the pill!!

Anyways I know how you feel as he too suffers from anxiety and depression and goes thru stages of shouting etc, he is medicated for this and is on fluxotine (sp) he was on other meds before but they stopped working.. anyways to get ot the point he very often shouts horrible things int he heat of the moment when he is 'on one' as I call it and he soon realises and does eventually apologise and that he dont mean things. He too is reluctant about baby names etc and does say some silly things like we are having a camo car seat and pram and bottles etc and then he says he is only messing, but at times I feel like he is not being serious.

The only difference in our relationship to urs is that I have 3 kids from a previous relationship and this is his first baby. He is a brillinat step dad to my kids and he has even started referring to them as our kids and since he moved in with us he always referred to us as his family... I managed to get him to open up recently and admit that he was worried and scared he ahs a number of fears, like he can be selfish, and he sees his mate as selfish when it comes to his kids and my oh dont want to be like this, he is also worried if the baby wont bond with him and what about if he messes up and is not a good dad etcetc..

so ur hubby might just have some issues about self estemm when it comes to the baby, I am sure he will be fine and just as good a dad as what he is now.. hope u do get to have that chat and understand the problem with choosing the right moment.. if u ever wanna chat I will try and help just inbox me

Take care

Lisa xx
  • Thanks Lisa , my hubby is on medication too but has decided he wants to lower his dose so think this may be causing some extra problems am sure all will be ok though and thanks to you all for your support xx
  • Just wanted to say hope your ok, and that you have managed to have a chat about it, like all the others have said often things are said in the heat of the moment that are not really meant if you know what I mean, so hope you're ok Luc x