Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping positions

I'm having real trouble sleeping and have since I was about 10 weeks.

I'm normally a back or belly sleeper and having been told to sleep on my side as its best I'm trying to do so.

I have a really sore lower back, right at the top of my bum, and in the middle of the nigt I wake up and it feels numb. When I move it's so painful! Spend the whole night tossing from side to side and when I do get a bit if decent sleep it's when I'm on my back which I shouldn't be!

Any tips? I've tried looking for preg pillows but they don't sell them here.

I'm so tired and frustrated cause I love my sleep! And I feel so sorry for hubby with my constant moving around.

Replies

• Where cant you get the pillows? My husband got me one from mothercare for christmas and its so comfy. One of those long ones you can manipulate into any position. Can you get one delivered from mothercare?
  • I'm in New Zealand!

Can't find them anywhere! That's what I wanted was the big pillow. Will just have to suffer until I get back to the uk image
  • My Last PG i managed without a big sleep pillow and used lots of cushions. Two between my legs, one under bump and 2 behind my back. At the mo i've just got one in between my legs and it does help as i suffer with back pain too

x x
  • I have been sleeping terribly too. Invested in a posh maternity pillow only for me to throw it out of bed most nights! I watched a clip the other day that said sleeping on your back until 20 weeks is fine, you can sleep on your belly as long as its comfortable and if you really do need to sleep on you back, to put a small cushion underneath your right side so you are slightly tilted to the left. I have slept much better since doing that. I have also stopped worrying about it so much (I was really beginning to fret that I was harming the baby by sleeping wrongly) and that helped loads xx
  • That's ladies. Was so tired last night after feeling awful all day that I slept on my back! Had a pretty good sleep so feeling better.

Will try the pillow on the side thing. I can sleep with my body slightly to the left but my head flat on the pillow - sounds uncomfy! So hopefully that will be ok x
  • i have always slept on my back and have done so far this pregnancy , i didnt even know you werent supposed to sleep on your back and midwifes have never advised against it

later on with my son i found sleeping on my back impossible but found sleeping on my side fine , never needed a pillow or anything .. hoping its that easy this time but we shall see

i would try and get your sleep to be honest as not sleeping has got to also be bad for both you and baby as you need to be rested not shattered xxx
  • Im usually a tummy or side sleeper have never been able to sleep on back. but in last week or so ive been waking up with a bruised sore feeling down which ever leg ive been leaning on. tried a pillow and works some nights and not others. i would just love a full nights sleep x
  • I think sleeping on your back is fine until later on when the weight of baby presses on a major artery in your back if you lie on your back for too long which can make you light headed. You know when you're at that stage though as you feel quite breathless after a few minutes! I am still sleeping on my back and sort of half on my front and on my side - so the weight isn't on my bump but isn't on my hips either. Once your bump gets bigger even normal pillows between your legs and under your bump really help although I found that my hip would go numb partly throughnthe night by the time I wa really big...