Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hen do help please

Okay, so I'm due 27th June and my wedding is 31st August. I wasn't sure whether to do a hen do or not, but I am thinking I'd really like to. I was considering the weekend of 18th Aug, as I thought with the new baby, the later I can do it the better. But now I'm thinking doing it while pregnant. Again I think I would want to leave it fairly late (say the last weekend of May)

I have written a list of about 28 people, but I have some friends who are travelling/working abroad who won't be able to come, so that will cut it down a bit

Does anyone have any suggestions? Online searches seem geared towards smaller groups so they aren't helping me much

I need something easy on the purse, and don't want a staying out overnight thing xx

Replies

• Well for mine I managed to get a spa package day including lunch quite reasonably. a day at the races with picnic? sorry my ideas are not the most riveting! exciting with lil 1 on the way and a wedding to plan! Luc x
  • I think the races would be really good fun whether you do it before or after baby. After baby you could do something silly like a day at Alton towers?
  • We stayed away for the weekend for my hen do but had some people just during the day and some one night nd others for 2.

We went to Go Ape on the saturday which as great fun. Some people didn't want to do it so watched from the bottom but most of us did it! We had a BBQ at night and played the usual games etc. Go Ape would be ok post baby but not before obviously!

I'd say have hen do before baby as not sure how much I'd enjoy it after if I was sleep deprived and feeding etc, maybe save your energy for the wedding!

A friend of mine went to a cupcake class and they all learnt to make and decorate cupcakes, said it was great fun.

Races with a picnic would be fun and people can all bring something along.

A friend of mine is having her hen do in august and is hiring a hot tub for her garden! She's getting a couple of spa people to come to her house and people can have nails done etc if they want, I'm really looking forward to it!
  • Alot if the things I have found online suggest a spa day. While it sounds lovely I'm not sure how appropriate it would be for so many people- maybe I have too many friends!!

My mum reckons a show in the West End then a meal. I do like going to see musicals, but I am a bit concerned I'll keep having to get up and pee! And then with a meal people can drink as much or as little as they like x
  • What do you reckon: Chicago at the Garrick theatre, then dinner at Browns Covent Garden? So long as we can book the right number of tickets of course x
  • sounds like a great idea! x
  • sounds like a great idea, i went to a hen do which involved going to theatre think it was wedding crashers or something wedding related at theatre, baby brain isnt working, what worked so well as there was about 30 of us was that we all had maps as it was away so we all knew where we were going sounds daft but nothing worse then being in a big grp of people when no one knows where you are going and you end up walking for ages! x
  • Wow that's alot of people! Can I ask, when you did that did you have seats all grouped together behind each other (so say 10 per row in 3 rows)? Only I think this would be better if they could offer it x
  • All I would say is a show might be abit uncomfatble, being that close to your due date???

I would say the races maybe the best bet for big groups and maybe a meal afterwards

xxx
  • I went to a show on 3rd December and am due in February, just gate crashing this thread and it was fine, we went to see Legally Blonde on tour, if you contact the theatre you may be able to get a group booking. I wouldn't have been able to go last few weeks as had pregnancy complications - just keep this in mind.

I had a spa day for mine but there were some of the things that the people that came that were pregnant couldn't use, some of the saunas and jacuzzi's, it was great and they didn't mind. There were 16 of us and you would't really want more than this. We then did a meal in the evening for others to join us locally, like my aunts and Nan.
  • I'm not sure I'm a "races" type of person TBH x
  • I went to a hen do a few years back where the bride was preggers, her sister and 3 of her friends! We went for afternoon tea at the tea rooms in a castle, with lovely gardens. Must have been about 15 of us and because it worked out quite cheap we did an evening meal as well, for those who felt up to it, the bride was about 7 months so the evening do was a fairly civilised affair but not short on laughs. Probably one of best hen do's I've been to i think, can't quite put my finger on why, but was just so relaxed and lots of chatting. Anyway, that was a ramble but whatever you do make sure it's something YOU'll enjoy and won't need YOU to travel too far, and wont require YOU to do all the blooming organising! It's YOUR day, so be a shellfish xo