Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jun 2012

Baby purchases?

Has anyone started buying anything yet? Hubs thinks it's too soon and doesn't want to tempt fate but can't help feeling totally disorganised! If you've started buying baby stuff, what have you bought? I feel totally clueless! Second/third etc timers, can you give us 1sties a let of what we should be getting?

Thanks

Sx

Replies

• My hubby is of the opposite persuasion and has been buying since about 14wks!! apart from decorating the nursery properly, mainly because were decorating other rooms, were all done with baby stuff! think all i need is a changing bag, new mattress for cot and baby monitors. oh and a baby gym. lil man has quite a few clothes already and bought nappies and wipes in asda baby event. x
  • I'm like your hubby SueJ and feel a bit nervous buying much now! Although as its our third all we actually need is big stuff like a wardrobe and dresser for the baby's room and a new bed for dd2 to free up the cot. We also need to decorate the baby's room but will start planning that properly after our scan next week when we know what colour scheme to go for!!

My tip to first timers is don't buy too much in newborn size as they'll only wear it for a month, maybe not at all if you have a bigger baby, and you'll get bought loads too. Just get a pack of vests and maybe 6 or 7 baby gros - you can buy the rest once bubs arrives! Stock up on nappies and wipes if they're on offer too and get some cotton wool for the first couple of weeks as you're not supposed to use wipes straight away.

Borrow a Moses basket if you can as you'll only use it for a couple of months but get a pushchair and car seat you really like as you'll get so much use out of them especially if you have another image
  • I have everything except bouncer, pram, changing bag, Moses basket, bedding... The rooms been painted, just waiting til march to have the furniture delivered, we have the basic clothes ie. 10 sleep suits, 10 short sleeve baby gros, hats, mittens, socks, booties and a few outfits but figured people will mainly buy us that. I want to spend my third trimester relaxing, not shopping so we started getting stuff from 18 weeks when we found out it was a girl. I have also started to get nappies. The only thing we won't have stocked up is the formula milk, as we don't know which one she will like/get on best with xxxx
  • We've also got most of the big stuff as our DD is only 12 months (tomorrow...Eeek!) When I was pg with her we did buy most things early on. One thing i wish I hadn't bought was a bumbo seat as she never liked it, hopefully this one will.

Don't forget all the essentials for yourself too: Breast Pads, Huge Sanitary towels etc

xx
  • I'm a first timer too and not bought anything really, got a few nappies but mainly packs that were free! Going to start getting stuff after 20wk scan next week. Started work on nursery but got to get that plastered first!! I have ordered a tommie Tippee closet to nature starter set as this was a good buy ??65 instead of ??130!! Bargain! Good luck, there really is loads of time yet!
  • with dd started buying from 20wks as timing wise we got some good bargains in the sale etc like pram car seat, like a couple of the others have said we also got a load of pressies all clothes either 0-3, or 3-6 was more outfits then babygros vests, so we got a few of those, nappies, cotton wool, sleeping bags, sheets blankets, baby monitor, also got a breast pump and steriliser but you may want to see how feeding goes first,baby bouncer, mobile for cot, nipple cream (llanisolh i think its called not cheap but is brill - even better if you can get some free sample sachets - i only needed for first few wks but everyone different), closer to the time maybe get a few ready meals for freezer? we didnt get a baby bath got a bath support instead, everyone is different in what they like, we got the baby bath towels which i liked but could live without, flannels. the supermarkets and ikea are great for some of the basics. Luc x
  • Haven't bought anything yet, all we have is what is left from last time x
  • We've bought the cotbed, but that's only because it was on offer. Not buying anything else until we've passed the 24wk mark. I was the same with DS tho, but this time our shopping list will be significantly shorter!
  • My hubby is of the opposite persuasion and has been buying since about 14wks!! apart from decorating the nursery properly, mainly because were decorating other rooms, were all done with baby stuff! think all i need is a changing bag, new mattress for cot and baby monitors. oh and a baby gym. lil man has quite a few clothes already and bought nappies and wipes in asda baby event. x

we were just like this with our first am panicking now as am 23 weeks and havent even started with this one lol xx
  • I didn't buy anything first time until about 36 weeks - don't think I will this time either!
  • We've only got the buggy and that's because that was on such a good offer. We're borrowing lots from my brother and he's checking what he's got in his loft at half term.

I've made the list and chosen what we're getting but we'll be getting a bit at a time when we have the money. As we're also just about to put our house on the market I'm loathe to fill the house and find homes for baby things when I'm just nearly done clearing it out for photos and viewers!
  • Ooh, so much to organise! I think I'll start to get some things chosen this week. X